Crab/Invert inside brain coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Dyngoe, Sep 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Hi All,

Sorry I can't provide a picture. It's just way too small. But, I have what looks like a crab burrowed into my brain coral. Has anyone seen this before. All I can see are it's claws and they are small like a hermot crab. Thanks in advance. I will try to snap a picture.

2. Click Here!

3. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

I had the same thing in a small open brain coral after quarantine for a few days I used a pair of forceps and crushed him into his hole and then pulled him out .The coral definitely seemed happier

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

5. bekendbrt

bekendbrt Plankton

That looks EXACTLY like the kind that typically burrows into the symbiotic coral on which christmas tree works grow. I know theres a thread somewhere here on them. No one knows for sure whether they actually kill the worms to make holes, so based on that knoweledge alone, I wouldn't trust it and would have it removed, in whatever way you see fit :)

6. mannyhernz

mannyhernz Fire Worm

where do you buy those lil' guys!!!:-/

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think that you have to get lucky when you buy a coral. 99% of the time, it would be Porites coral.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's my understanding that they only inhabit the burrows of dead Christmas tree worms. I don't think that they kill the worm. Then again, I don't know for sure.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/inverts/mantis-bad-shrimp-33245-3.html?highlight=paguritta