Crab ID

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Wrassman, Apr 11, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

I know ya'll love this as much as I do. I found this tiny, little crab yesterday. He is about the size of the nail on your little finger; i.e., he is about 1/4" across, with his claws pulled in.

I thought he was a pebble at first, then I thought I saw movement, so I watched for a while. And there he was! Mr.IttyBittyCrab. I know he's carnivorous, because of the tips of his claws. But, he isn't hairy, and he isn't red, and he certainly isn't threatening looking.

Look around on the 'net and see what you can find out about our little friend here. I am attaching a couple of pics for your amusement. :eek: [smiley=grin3.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

[glow=Red, 3, 900]Here's another pic.  Amazing isn't it??[/glow] [smiley=speechless.gif]

Attached Files:

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Man he's cool.

Reminds me of some of the Dungeness crabs on my beach!

8)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[glow=red, 2, 300]Get the butter and garlic ready [smiley=jester.gif]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/glow]

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

6. Wrassman

[glow=LimeGreen, 2, 800]LOL!!!  About the only thing I've found so far was a menu item in Maine!!!  The Maine Rock Crab, courtesy of Google Images:[/glow] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]​

[​IMG]

[glow=Green, 3, 900]I don't know guys.  The one I have wouldn't be a good meal for a decent size field mouse.[/glow] :eek: ;D​

[glow=Navy, 2, 800]Edit: Come on, people! We are supposed to be better at this than this.[/glow] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=grin3.gif] [smiley=wink3.gif] [smiley=wave.gif]​

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[glow=red, 2, 300]Cancer antennarius [/glow] or rock crab is my guess.
    but it's just a guess.

J

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

[glow=Red, 3, 900]Thanks, jakets. I'll check that out in a little while. First guess I've had all day, so that's pretty cool. It would also be cool if you "hit" this one first try too, wouldn't it?? I'll let you know in a half-an-hour or so... [/glow]​

[smiley=cool4.gif] [smiley=grin3.gif] [smiley=pimp2.gif] [smiley=smart.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=wave.gif]​

10. Wrassman

Using the name you gave me Cancer antennarius, I came up with the following Google Image. The images are looking more and more like my little bitty critter [smiley=grin3.gif]:
    [​IMG]www.humboldt.edu

I think if we found some of these guys a little "younger" we'd probably have my teeny crab nailed. But, even though they look SO MUCH alike, it is difficult to make that leap that takes me from little, harmless, itty-bitty crab, to this possibly destructive, defintely opportunistic predator. I hope I can catch Mr.IttyBittyCrab before he gets this big. :eek:

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

12. Wrassman

[glow=Red, 2, 80%]Hey jakets,

I have added a couple of small pieces of LR recently, because they both have beautiful fan worms on them. I'm fairly certain my little crab came out of the new rocks.

He's got a LONG way to go before he is a problem. At his size right now, he really couldn't hurt much of anything. When he gets a little larger, he will have to contend with my Checkerboard Wrasse (Fido), who has a mouth that will crush his shell like a robin's egg.
    [/glow] :eek: [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=skull.gif]

[glow=Teal, 2, 80%]I think I might like to keep him. So I am going to be watching for him again and when I see him, I'll put him in my sump/refugium. He'll be safe there.[/glow] [smiley=wave.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif][smiley=angel.gif]