CPR's Beta Model Mini and Nano Reactors

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

update on my CPR Nano, once the bacteria started to form on the pellets the pump is not strong enough to run 250ml of bio pellets. its barely moving the top pellets... if at all. even with it using the other fitting with no gph reducer on it .
    the pump sent with the nano is a 85 gph pump i just ordered a 158 gph pump . another brand pump but feel it should fit, since its a micro pump also. if not i will find the reducers to make it fit.
    so for those thinking of this unit... its nice and compact and fits the 250ml of pellets and could fit a tiny bit more. but you will need to change out the pump. the pump sent with the CPR nano won't run that amount of bio pellets once the bacteria starts to form, the pellets get to heavy for that pump to handle.

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Sorry it's taken so long to reply :) yes the skimmer is internal.

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I was wondering how do you add the pellets and what not to the reactor? Does the top come off? If so how does it seal?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes the top comes off completely off and to close it, it snaps into place

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

ok as i see it this reactor needs some tweaking...

1 ~ the pump size is to small to run bio pellets, since once they have bacteria forming on them they become to heavy for the pump

2 ~ the lid falls off way to easy, it needs a way to secure it. ( i learned this the hard way)

3 ~ the screens also fall off way to easy and need to be secured

4 ~ maybe you should have on your write up about these how much pellets they can run. they can fit much more than they can run with that small pump thats sent with it. or actually it might be better to say what the reactor can hold and give different connectors for different sized pumps.

the tunze 158gph wasn't enough power to turn the 250ml of pellets.right now i have it running with a max jet 1200 turned down i believe thats 295gph?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good feedback pink4miss. I saw an early production model recently that should address your issue with the lid. I think Len at Advanced Aquarist posted some about it - I will as well tomorrow.

8. Click Here!

9. cpraquatic

cpraquatic 3reef Sponsor

Thanks for the good feedback pink4miss. Is the reactor on the Zero Edge tank in your sig? Just wanted another data point on tank type (livestock inside) and "amount of media used" trends. Thanks

1) Regarding amount of media it can handle, when I recommended not using more than about 40-50% of the reactor's total volume (prev post), I should have also underscored the fact that the 40-50% should include the air/space around the media (which varies from media to media) and not just a displacement measurement of the media alone. I should have made that more clear.

Please also keep in mind that one variable that will be different for most people is the amount of bacteria that develops, which is primarily based on tank conditions.

2) Production lids will be a combination of a sliding lid and a snap on cap, which when used in combination is secure. I will try to post pictures this weekend or on Monday of the direction we are going.

3)Screens are going to be integrated in the lid...we will be using a combination of mesh material.

4)We will be giving recommendations on capacity of use (most likely based on the 40-50% volume figure). Thanks for the suggestion about the connectors.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes it is on the tank pictured... its 35 gallons ... with 25 gallon sump refuge a 5.5 ato and skimmer, carbon gfo reactor, uv. my fish are listed in my signature at the bottom of this. i have a high bio load. its why i decided to try bio pellets. i feed all frozen foods a wide variety at least twice a day. do 5 gallon water changes very 7 to 10 days.

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well my reactor is running well with a rio 800 pump 211 gph except for the noise. the pump actually is turned down a bit , so maybe a 600 would have worked? the rio pumps fit this reactor so if you need to increase pump power just pick up another rio pump. the size of the nano is a major plus.
    I'm sure anyone who is looking for something to fit in a small space will be happy with this, if they can get a pump that runs it quietly, great to see the the lid and screen taken care of.

but for me its off to the fish store for another TLF reactor. i can't stand the noise this reactor is making and don't have the time to mess with it. i thought this would work well but i can't stand the noise... its louder than my mag 1800 main pump. and thats also turned down a bit so ii can't figure it out i have wasted 60.00 on other pumps to try and get this tumbling correctly not to mention the 45.00 for the reactor. so............... :(

this is a learning lesson... don't buy a product and figure you can tweak it, and don't buy a beta product

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

the humming noise is driving me nuts!