CPR's Beta Model Mini and Nano Reactors

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

That would make more sense. They use the smaller Taam Rio pumps.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

With the 3reef calculator: 3.25" x 1.25" x 7.75". That equals roughly 0.19 gallons (1 gallon = 3785.4 ml) , which is about 719 ml. That's 3 cups.

They had to have meant that the pumps can churn 100 and 125ml. of media.

So yes, these will be plenty for your tank. ;) :p

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dYes50pBw8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

250ml in the nano reactor, it seems to be giving it the perfect tumble with pump fully open. it might even be able to be turned down a bit.

oh sorry about the mess of wires i need to get to that. i just moved my uv in my sump and ...uuurrrggghh wires! but you get the picture of how well it tumbles this amount, for anyone who is thinking of getting one of these cpr nano's

5. cpraquatic

cpraquatic 3reef Sponsor

pink4miss,
    Sorry, I did not see your question before! (did not realize I wouldn't get notifications on of new posts from this thread- my fault).

Thanks for the video...looks great! I know you said that you might want to turn it down, but if you ever need to have a little more power, you can use the adapter without the valve, and it will pump a little bit stronger than with the valve adapter totally open.

We have put up to 200 ml of bio pellets into the Mini reactor in testing, and I'm not surprised that 250 could fit, but there are some considerations that will be different from case to case (such as pellet size, shape and density...also sump water height as that will affect head pressure on the pump and the fluidization pattern that is created).

I will measure the volume within each unit, so we can provide that information. I will post that here later today.

Have you been using EcoBak for a while now? Other pellets you've used?

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

your welcome, i just wanted to give others an idea of how much it could hold . my sump's water level is 8 inches deep. since you say that plays a part i should add that info in.

thats good to know about switching the adapter, i didn't realize i could get more out of that pump, if it needs a bit more tumble, i'll give that a try.
    i think right now it is good. i had a tumble like this with a TLF modified 150 phos reactor and a 357 gph pump fully open. so I'm really pleased at the tumble I'm getting from this small unit and pump. great design.

i did add a small magnet inside the reactor and on the out side of my sump to hold the reactor firmly the in place. just dropped it on top of the pellets dropped the nano reactor into the sump where it was to sit and ran the other magnet on the outside wall of the sump till it found the other which pulled the two magnets together for a firm hold on the reactor. (just incase I'm in the sump and bump the reactor its held firm against the wall)

i have not tried any other bio pellets. and my reactor was not running the pellets for a while, after my skimmer needed a part i took the bio pellets out and never set it back up. instead the TLF reactor is now running carbon and gfo.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

These settings are customizable. If you go to User CP, then EDIT OPTIONS, look at the MESSAGING & NOTIFICATION settings. You have numerous options on when you receive emails.

8. Click Here!

9. cpraquatic

cpraquatic 3reef Sponsor

Thanks Curt- appreciate the assist.

As promised, here is some sizing help for the Mini and Nano Reactors:

Below are some raw numbers that should be able to help others figure out which unit might be best for them. *Note that these are volume measurements, not measurements of media capacity. The measurements are also good approximations, but not exact.

Mini Reactor - media chamber volume (total): approximately 3 2/3 cups or about 850 ml.
    Mini Reactor - media chamber volume (up to bottom of strainers when installed inside): approximately 2 1/3 cups or 550 ml.

Nano Reactor - media chamber volume (total): approximately 2 cups or about 475 ml.
    Nano Reactor - media chamber volume (up to bottom of strainers when installed inside): approximately 1 3/8 cups or 325 ml.

As mentioned before, bio pellet size and shape will affect how much total volume the pellets will take up in a reactor. Remember that if a MFG measures their media in volume, it is typically measured by displacement, so you need to account for the space around the pellets. Of course, you also have to account for the space needed for the media to be fluidized.

As a rough guide for media capacity, I would try and use less than about 40-50% of the capacity of the unit (depending on how the strainers are set). From pink4miss's video you can see that there are cases, where more or less may work, but variables like 1) media type/size 2) sump water level and 3) desired amount of fluidization (how active does the media need to be?) should all be considered when making your choices.

10. wmo168

wmo168 Plankton

Just want to share, another happy customer

I find out about the Nano reactor from Reefbuilders and this forum, I have a Elos Mini tank with a Sump and I have been looking for a phosphate reactor that would fit in the tank for so long without the need to run an extra line to an external reactor which could leaks.

Finally order from Ameka Aquatics and they are great in shipping out the item and communicate with it. I receive the item 3 days after I order via Priority Mail and I have put the unit inside the Mini Sump and use Two Little Fishies NPX Bioplastics which fits and run perfectly!!!!!!!!!

Here are some photos and video in action. Another great design and happy customer...

VERY GOOD PRODUCT!! I AM LOVING IT!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KKbT0a7b3Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BQoyaU-AmqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I'm running the CPR HOB 19" Aquafuge on my 26g bowfront. Would these reactors work with this fuge? If so which one? At present I'm running chaeto/LR rubble along with an internal Reef Octopus NS80 nano skimmer. I'm thinking room would be an issue, yes?

12. cpraquatic

cpraquatic 3reef Sponsor

wmo168, looking good! Thanks for the update and video.

nanareefer,
    yes, you can use these reactors inside of the AquaFuge. There are weight considerations to make when adding things inside of your refugium, but it doesn't sound like you'd have an issue adding the Nano unit to your set up. The Nano footprint is 3.25" x 1.75" x 11" (strainers in). The refugium is 12" tall and could accommodate that footprint depending on the other things you have inside. Just to confirm, the skimmer you mentioned is internal, correct? Hanging things onto your hang-on AquaFuge is not generally recommended.