CPR Bak-Pak into Fuge?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Reefjack, Aug 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefjack

Reefjack Astrea Snail

So i've got this CPR Bak-Pak HoB protein skimmer that a friend gave me, but it dosent have a venturi pump, or any pump at all for that matter. I'm setting up a small sump for my 20g tank, but the bak-pak is bigger than I want inside my sump, obviously, and I already had my eye on a nice nano-skimmer.

So I was thinking to myself what good use I could put it to, and I thought it might make a decent fuge, maybe hanging on the back of the sump tank. I could use a small pump to move water into the body of it, throw some LR in the inlet section and some Cheato in the return section. Maybe a bit of live sand in the base part. Or I could just jam all of the sections with Cheato.

Think it would work?

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

as long as the siphon does'nt stop

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

What would your light source be? the Bak-pak would still require a pump, I don’t see how you would get a siphon to flow through it?

Yes, I think it could work. Go with the rock first idea - your light source needs to reach the cheato, jamming the bak-pak full of cheato would probably not be the best outcome.

5. Reefjack

Reefjack Astrea Snail

I intended to use a pump to move water into it, I'm not sure where the idea of a siphon came from...

For light I could just get clip-on desk type fixture, and use a normal spiral PC household light, like you might use in a lamp at home. (Cheato dosen't need any ridiculous kind of light, afaik) I was also kinda thinking some bright white LED's that might do the trick, if I rigged them up right.

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Another thing to make sure you add is a mesh screen to keep the cheato from clogging up the outlet pipe. Trust me, that is not something you want to happen. I had a snail get caught it in which resulted in about a gallong of water flowing over onto my floor.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

One problem you will find it that the water wil flow to quickly through the bak pak. You want the water to travel through a "large container not something that is 8 inches long and 14" tall.

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Cheato needs higher flow rates to be effective. A small clump could be used, but it won't tumble how it should.