CPR Bak Pak 2

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Joe_Mama, Jul 24, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Joe_Mama

Joe_Mama Plankton

Any comments about this product?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

These are widely used skimmers and come highly recommended. I have one that has given me nothing but fits even after replacing the pump. The most limiting factor in the performance of any skimmer, outside of design, is the pump used to operate the skimmer. The pump heavily determines the amount and quality of the bubbles. Skimmer/pump setups that employ a needle valve are generally better than the straight venturi type skimmers.

I know lots of folks that have had better luck than me, maybe I got a lemon. HTH

4. Craig Manoukian

5. Joe_Mama

Joe_Mama Plankton

Thanks for the info craig! ;D

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I love them, recommend them, and have sold many of them. Only 2 complaints:
    1: get rid of the rio, add maxi-jet 1200 w/ venturi
    2: get an extra o-ring, you don't want to be caught with your pants down (collection cup falls into skimmer when o-ring breaks)

They, like ALL venturi skimmers, need to have the venturi cleaned. That means ALL lines, connections and valves, need to be cleaned (bi-weekly I suggest). I use warm water & vineager and a toothpick to get inside the fittings/line.

7. DrRichP

DrRichP Plankton

The CPR Bak-Pak smokes if you're looking for a HOB skimmer.  However it can not be adapted for in sump operation like the SeaClone can.  I have had my CPR Bak-Pak for a year and never a problem.  The Rio 600... a subject of much debate.  Mine has been great.  If you don't think it does enough for you, you can replace it with the Rio 800 w/venturi.  The 800 is the exact same size etc., just a higher flow rating.  If you just plain hate Rio pumps, the Maxi-Jet 1200 is for you.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've never had major problems with Rios either, but my Maxi Jet 1200 is a lot quieter. :)

[flash=468,60]http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/threesteps3.swf[/flash]

10. Craig Manoukian

Will try the Maxi-Jet 1200, thanks for the feedback!

11. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I have one and it has been in use for over 2 years, it has stopped bubbling twice, which took me 15 minutes to rip it a part, clean it, and get it back running. So really no complaints here. I removed the bio balls after my cycle and now use the chamber to put all my chemicals in so it mixes before entering the tank which is a very nice feature. Can even pour extra water in it to replace evaporation.