Covey's Calcium reactor

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Covey, Jan 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Indeed. 8)
    What is the total cost so far?

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

If your looking to compare it to other calcium reactors the total cost of the whole reactor is around $130-$140 and I will still probably have $10 in parts left over. I hate making 4 trips to Lowe's to get one thing done. That is not counting the CO2 system.

As far as quality, it's made out of plumbing parts and the main housing is rated to 100psi. It is built like a tank.

I am still looking for a good probe holder so I can mount my pH probe to it if anyone has got any ideas?

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Alright got my parts. I made 40 plumbing connections on this. What do you think leak during the leak test. The seal on the Mag :p so I had to tighten that down and everything was fine. I ended up making a 2nd chamber for $20 too. So the reactor held 6lbs of ARM and the 2nd held the other pound.
    [​IMG]
    So that worked and it is now on to the tank problem is that I still don't know what bubble count and drip rate to use but here is a pic of it ready to go into action.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Man you are good.:thumbs_up

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Nice Job Covey Looks quite impressive 8) :thumbs_up :clapping: You get some Karma from me 8)

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Very cool Covey. What is the air pump for? I see the water intake but no out put? Maybe the pic was taken before you attached it :)

J

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

That isn't an air pump it is the Aqua lifter pump(http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...t_Code=M3-AQUALIFTERPUMP&Category_Code=cparts )it is the feed pump I am impressed it is dead quite. I think I might get an another one for top off.

Water goes in thru the Aqua lifter and out thru the other line right below the vertical union.

It is working real good. Day 1 Cal 380ppm and Alk 4 meqs. Day 2 Cal 400ppm and Alk 4 meqs. My alk would drop a meq a day without the reactor. The best thing is it is maintaining those levels without pushing the reactor very hard. I won't out pace the reactor when I get more SPS.

10. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

covey do you have a detailed list of the parts you used for this. is it still working fine?
    Im looking to put a Ca reactor and they really do seem $$$$$ for what they are? i think im going to DIY it like you.

11. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

this is definitely reviving an older thread but very nice covey, i bet you could go into business starting with a few members on this board.

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I don't have a parts list but it is pretty basic. Go to Lowe's get the filter. and plumb a loop from there. Twenty minutes himing and hawing in the plumbing isle and you should have it. The only thing I would have done differentily was to use a Quiet one pump instead of the MAG. The MAG always leaked slightily.

Other than that it has worked great. I refilled it at 6 months and it probably been another 4 months since then.

I wouldn't go back to the 2-part Cal/Alk if you payed me.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
    1 person likes this.