Covey's 150G Photo Journal

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Covey, Mar 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

The PAR on the 15K XM blows for some reason it is even less than the 20K XM.

I went with 20Ks as I didn't want to run actinics.

2. Click Here!

3. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I don't want to run actinics either, but how will I acclimate my corals from blasting them w/ MH in the morning... the dusk and dawn effect.

I was thinking about to run actinics before MH comes on and turn them off after MH comes on in morning and the other way at night. Would that work?

Thanks!
    GKW

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I was just looking to avoid the complation of another added lighting system. 1200W of MH on a 150G I shouldn't be hurting for PAR. My three ballast are separate so I think I am going to slightly stagger when they all come on and off.

400W Magnetic ballast the UPS shipping weight was 53lbs a piece for each retro! Looks like I will be building a new ballast rack.

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I got my order in from hello lights and set it up yesterday. 2/3 of the way done. I'll order the last third when I get paid again.
    Anyway 2x400 20K XM on ARO m59 ballast.
    [​IMG]
    I am liking the setup for being "budget" ballast they are well built, quiet, and for once something came with a power cord and lamp cord that is long enough to be useful. 3 year warrenty from Hellolights too.
    [​IMG]
    This being my first MH lighting they kicked on the first time and I was like thats not the bright... Oh its getting brighter... Damn thats bright...
    [​IMG]
    So I built a rack to hang the lights out of Sch 80 PVC and added chains and hooks so I can adjust the height. Anyway I will have to put with the tinfoil tent and the eyesore until I get the third retro.

I am really liking the 20K XMs they look a little whiter in real life I am hoping I get some of that 20K magic going on.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I like the way they look.
    The color may change slightly during the break-in period.
    I guess my next bulbs will be the same, only 250w instead of 400 like yours :)

Jim

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I'm guilty as charged, like you Covey!!!
    Selling my 75 gallon tank to set up a reef ready 125 gallon. Getting rid of the Coralife (4) 96 watt Pc fixture and bought (3) Hamilton Reefstar pendants. two of them are 250 watt 14000k hqi. The other one is a 400watt 20000k hqi pendant. Watch those Acropora's and Montipora's glow and grow now... oh yeah, the electric bill will grow as well...so be it-ya live once, right?!
    Good luck and enjoy!

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Power bills not that bad AC is including in the rent!
    No chiller.
    AC set to 68.

Muah HA HA.
    I guess it is read what you sign in reverse:tongue4:

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

So my club had a frag auction. I probably would have waited a little long but these auctions are crazy creap for frags.
    Here is a few of my pick ups.
    Left to right:
    A. prostrata, $15 Blue tort frag ;D, two green slimers, and a another prostrata
    [​IMG]

A pic of the very happy prostrata frag. Crazy PE
    [​IMG]

A frag I almost forgot to take a pic of. Real nice blue color. Was sold to be as a "blue slimer" but even the seller didn't think that was accurate.
    [​IMG]

I got the frags for:
    $15 Blue tort from this blood line.
    http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/images/oregontort2.jpg at $80 for 3/4"!
    $14 The blue slimer
    The two green slimer and the two A. prostrata for free for prop moding the guys maxi-jet.
    Add to that a free Monti Cap from one of my friends.
    Next auction I am bringing big money for sure

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Check out what a pile of money(LIGHTING, skimmer, bb, flow) has done to my A. Robusta colony.
    Brown brown brown. Last summer
    [​IMG]

Last night
    The camera is not even doing this thing justice. It glows blue and purple now.
    [​IMG]

12. techrach

techrach Plankton

sorry for the delayed question but how did you modify your MJ 1200 to get that much increase in GPS?

your tank looks great!