Couple things with stings!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

sorry had my gf take the pics yesterday. Those are all she got. Maybe I can get in there this weekend and get some good ones.

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Hows this?

Attached Files:

4. Toallhisdoom

5. Toallhisdoom

Whatya doin in my waters?

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Hmmm...that's a little scorp, as for ID, it may be tuff, but I'll see what I can come up with. Are there any bars or spots on its caudal fin? That sometimes helps with ID.

7. Toallhisdoom

Hmm. Heres a better pic of the tail ;) so is it reef safe? Lol

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

bump for greegggggggggg

10. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

As for the "reef safe" thing, ALL Scorpaeniformes are reef safe in that they could care less about the corals, unless they're a species that lives in coral heads, such as Caracanthus spp. (coral croucher/gumdrop "goby"), and even then, they don't bother the corals.

Ornamental crustaceans (except hermits) will generally be eaten, altho cleaners sometimes get a "pass", but not always (best to have them established before the scorp).

As for your fish's ID...it's proving to be a "tuffy"...I've tried searching just for Japanese species, but have also looked at lots of photos of various scorp genera, and it's throwing me. Of course, there are plenty of unphotographed species, which doesn't help either.

The sub-orbital papillae are unusually well-developed, and are in an odd spot, as these are generally super-orbital (above the eyes). There are no tail stripes, but those four spots may be a key. The pectorals are banded, and there are opercular spines as well.

Was this fish actually collected in Japan, or did someone dub it a "Japanese waspfish"?

Whatever it is, it's a pretty little fish...I'll keep digging...

11. Toallhisdoom

Hmm I will have to ask the lfs about it! Maybe if we can figure out more about it I will have to add it to the tank! Lol