Couple questions about sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Benjamin, Jul 22, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NOWICKI

NOWICKI Astrea Snail

I have a similar question along these lines. I want a deeper sandbed( I have about 1-3" in some areas, my tank is pretty much done cycling for the first time. I have a aragalive sand and cc mixed right now and it is very coarse. I would love a very "sandy white" bed. I don't want to take out what is there. I know I can add Southdown from home depot but what is the best method? Maybe a couple of scoops a week for a period of time? or maybe cure it separately in a tub with some LR?

I have a 26g bowfront, 2 turbos and 1 emerald crab.
    Thanks all,
    Ryan

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i recently added some sd to my sand bed. i didnt want to make to big of a mess with the fish and stuff in the tank but with all u have in yours would be a little easier and quicker. i took a bucket (1 i use for water changes) put the sand in with some old tank water. basically to soak it so it would sink easier. let it soak for about 2 days then use a plastic cup put sand in it get it as close to the bottom as you can and pour it on the bottom. the water will still cloud but mine cleared up over night doing it this way. then the little settlement on the rock i just blew off with a turkey baster. i added 1/8 to 1/4" at a time over half the tank then when settled did the other half. you could probably do the whole tank since there are no fish to worry about. adding the sand dry will blow around for a couple of days doing it this way seems to keep it down even with the fish digging in it.