could not walk past this one

Discussion in 'Clams' started by steve wright, May 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah crocea are rock boring clams and it will definately be happier if it can attach to a rock

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thanks Schackmel - had a good look over it , really clean, the shell is almost smooth with just 2 or 3 scutes at the top of each ridge , so inspecting it was much easier with this than with a coral IMO

and yes even with the helpful stickies on Clam ID im not 100% sure which one it is but I was leaning towards T Deresa based on the links and shell pictures - Ill have to go and re look at Crocea now

Ill look for that other thread about MEN?
    pests - yep you have us catergorized accurately there IMO, LOL

Steve

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I am pretty sure it is a crocea not a dersea but I am not the best with clam ID. The dersea IME has more of a lined mantle and smoother shell where the crocea will have more of the purple, green and blue hues mixing in and slightly more sqauttier shell
    MEN - Monti eating pests or more correctly MEN ARE PESTS!! :yelrotflm:yelrotflm:yelrotflm glad you agree! ;D

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Beautiful crocea Steve, great price

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I agree, looks like a crocea to me. Beautiful clam!! Congrats on your first one. You will really enjoy having it!

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Congrulations on the very nice clam Steve! Between Kacy, Gambit and now you I'll have one by the end of the summer :)

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Very nice clam steve. Welcome to the clam club.

10. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

Congrats on the clam-it's a keeper!

11. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Great score Steve!! I always thought those were Croceas as well? I never had them around long enough to know any better anyway. ;D

GOOD LUCK!!

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

thanks everyone

clam was based up on flat rock day after and has not moved location so I think its happy in the spot I chose for it

2 things that I have noticed already with my 1st Clam

1 - over the 1st few days, if a fish, snail etc came anywhere near, as quick as a flash the mantle receded and the shell partially closed, this even happened when I approached tank - but after a few days of this , the Clam seems to recognise, general activity in the tank and no longer reacts to this

2 - the Clam looks most colourful when viewed from above tank , this is when you see some real flourescent greens and blues , in fact I had to do a double take when I 1st noticed this - It looks completely different in terms of colour when viewed looking down then it does from the front of the tank

interesting experience thus far for me

Steve