could it be... ANOTHER hair algae post?!?! Yes, it is.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bc219, Nov 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'll let you all know what I end up going with!

2. Click Here!

3. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

How is the algae prob now?

4. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I'm still fighting it, when I do water changes I tear off as much as possible and siphon it at the same time. Some of the hair algae is starting to turn brown. I'm hoping that means it's starting to die, however I've been googling about hair algae turning brown and I am not positive that this means it's dying.

I plan on buying my ro/di from the filter guys probably next month, in the meantime I'm relying on my fuge with some cheato, chemipure elite bag & phosban to help keep it under control!!!

5. Viper3166

Viper3166 Feather Duster

Any update?? I too have been fighting HA for some time.

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Still the same, the growth seems to have slowed though, I think from the RO/DI water that I use now. I think it's just going to take some time and patience... the right lighting, water quality, etc.... ugh!

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

You've got it!

8. Click Here!

9. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

This is an old note, but no one mentioned the use of bioballs in the sump. Go with LV and get rid of bioballs.

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I don't have bioballs in my sump... I pulled them out and turned it into a refugium. What is LV that you speak of?

And I should add that the bioballs did not have a part in the hair algae outbreak... The little bit of nitrate they add may only feed it slightly, I found that it was caused by

1. water quality such as dkh, ca & mg levels AND the fact I was buying the water from the store which contained phosphate.

2. the lights I was using

It's getting better... growth is slowing and I'm having some die off!