Cory cat

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by Mystique, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mystique

Mystique Astrea Snail

I have two cory catfish with little white protrusions on them. I lost a Black phantom tetra from the same thing. I tried Ick Away, thinking that perhaps external parasites, and it seemed to clear up, then reoccurred. I tried Melafix, and that didn't seem to do anything. The white things almost look stringy, and seem longer at times. The corys are rubbing their sides on the gravel and the deco, like it itches, and they wont rest on the bottom of the tank. They hover about a inch from the substrate.

Any ideas on what they have and how to treat it would be great. I don't want to lose them or any more fish.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Sounds like it may be a Anchor Worm or a louse of some sort.The anchor worm is too deeply embedded to remove. Treatment I find to work the best is 10 to 30 minute bath in 10 mg per liter of potassium permanganate. Or treat the whole tank with 2 mg per liter, but this method is messy and dyes the water a purple to deep tan color . Th's works for about all leech type coruscation pest They will dig in while in their free swimming stage of life

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Yup. Sounds like anchor worm. In addition to what Tangster posted, you can remove anchor worms by hand with tweezers.

5. Mystique

Mystique Astrea Snail

I ended up ordering "General Cure" from API, and I treated the whole tank. I think that I had a couple fish with ailments. Pretty sure one had "hole in head". I lost a Glo-fish due to treatment. He was quite ill all ready and was not surprised at the loss. Everybody else is lookin' good. The corys are still hovering a bit, but they have their color back and are not itching. Thanks for the diagnosis!