CorissWrasse with Severely Swollen Gill

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by OnlyTono, Nov 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

So my yellow Coris Wrasse has developed a swollen gill. He started showing signs of trouble with the gill a few weeks ago, but I left him in place since it was very minor and he had no other outward signs of discomfort. His eating and sleeping habits have remained normal (always a good eater), and his energy level has remained normal until today.

Today – he seems a bit more lethargic than normal, but is still eating like he should. His gill has inflamed a considerable amount and is now pushing out of the side of his head.

I’m in the process of setting up a hospital tank and hope to have that setup ether tonight or tomorrow morning.

What I need help with is identifying the issue so I can make the best decisions on treating him. Below are some close up photos of his left gill, and a video of him swimming around.

History of water parameters can be viewed on my AquaticLog profile here:
    http://www.aquaticlog.com/showcase/measure?aquariumId=2396

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That looks more like a tumor or a parasite.

Hopefully Hunter will chime in.

4. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) don't have a lot of experience with Fish diseases :-/

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  5. Corailline

Sorry, hopefully Hunter will see the thread.

Thank you though for the excellent documentation.

6. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I was at my LFS last night and showed them the pics. Their opinion was that it may actually be some sort of parasite or even some sort of strange egg sack from a parasitic infection.

The growth sort of looks like a sack, and on closer inspection it does not appear to be a part of the fish, but rather a mass stuck in there. so maybe they are on to something.

They suggested a series of fresh water baths to see of the mass would break up or dislodge.

I'm moving the fish into the hospital tank today, so I think I'll start with the FW bath.

Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions on this, or even experience with something like this?

7. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

OK - the Coris Wrasse is in quarantine.
    I'll give him a chance to calm down and get used to his new surroundings

FW Baths to start tomorrow. Wish me luck.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

They do sleep in sand right?

Mine did, if I remember correctly. I believe you can put a small container of sand in the QT for him to sleep in.

10. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

Yep, he does sleep in the sand.

I had considered putting a small container of sand in the with him, but wanted to hold off until I knew what I was dealing with. It's possible that sleeping in the sand is exasperating the issue in his gill.

right now he's just hiding in the PVC I provided him.

11. Corailline

Have you investigated gills flukes yet? Not much out there in the ways of information but you might want to try the treatment since it's not going to hurt the fish.

12. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

thanks for the response.

I have done some research online, but nothing I've come across looks quit like this. With that said, one of the reasons I am considering the fresh water bath is that's one treatment that will target gill flukes as well as other parasites.

I'm not full committed to the FW bath yet, but that's the way I'm leaning for now.