Coris wrasse Questions

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by oceanparadise1, Sep 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I have been readin up on this fish. Would love to add one the my reef tank. I have read they are reef safe with caution and that they will eat inverts. Now i could care less about the inverts, but i have also heard they dont ship well. I plan on ordering one(well maybe after i get teh correct info from yall :)) from reef hot spot bc of the 14 day gaurentee. How hardy are they, and do they nip/eat corals? Any suggestions on this would be AWSOME! thanks guys!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

What kind of coris wrasse?

If you mean a red coris wrasse, then I say steer clear in a reef tank. here is a red coris wrasse, too bad they will wreak havoc on a reef, as they are beautiful.[​IMG]

If you mean green coris or yellow coris wrasse, then those are not even coris wrasses. Those 2 are halichoeres wrasses and are 100% reef safe, eat flat worms like no tomorrow, and eat pyramellid snails tat kill tridacna clams.

Unfortunately in this hobby too many people mix up names and some stick, like the case of these 2 halichoeres that are called coris wrasses. Granted it is an easy mix up, but an expensive one if you add a not reef safe fish to your coral tank.

2 people like this.
  4. oceanparadise1

Your spot on hork, beautfiul fish and i love how they start red and turn to the above. What reasons to not add one to the reef tank? do they eat or nip at corals? would a 125 long(5 feet) be enough for this fish or does it need a 6 or 8 foot tank?

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

As I have no idea about what a Coris Wrasse is, I could only google....but I did find this:

"The red coris wrasse is a beautiful marine fish, however, I'm not certain that it should be kept in captivity, especially by inexperienced saltwater aquarists. I did an Internet search and there are several online marine fish retailers that don't even guarantee its live arrival. This is because these fish don't ship well and are difficult to maintain and keep alive in captivity. If you do decide to keep one, it is best to buy it locally rather than having it shipped to you across the country."

I also looked at some online retailers and none of them guaranteed the coris wrasse because it doesn't ship well and is considered "Expert Only." I also read they have a poor survival rate on crushed coral substrate and will eat inverts.

Not to be a downer!! Just giving you what I found on google. It could be wrong!

1 person likes this.
  6. oceanparadise1

Cool, not a downer at all, i dont want to make a stupid decision and lose a fish, thats why i asked you guys! Thanks KC if i do get one ill make sure i get it from a LFS and ill put it in my 125.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I did see 100 gallon minimum though, so your tank would be fine.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Wrasses are one of my favorite fish, so I try to specialize in them:)

From what I see, they do eat coral, and clams, and inverts. Now when they are juveniles in the red and white with the black borders, they apparently don't eat coral. But they get older and change colors, they apparently eat stony corals.

They will eat smaller fish when adults, and they get to be 16 inches long. big fish. I saw a couple while diving in Fiji a couple years back. Quite amazing, and I would get one ina heartbeat if I had a FOWLER tank.

I think a 125 5 footer would work for a while, bt when 16" long a standard 5 foot tank (125) would not have enough room for it. I don't know if I would put an adult 16" one in a 5 footer like my 193g tank that is 30" deep either, and that tank has a ton of swimming room. These guys BOOK in the ocean.

10. oceanparadise1

Thanks, i will pass on this fish for now untill i can get it a good large home in a non reef. thanks for helping me make the right choice

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

fwiw, blue zoo aquatics does not have a difficult level on this fish for care, and have their live arrive guarantee on it.

Live aquaria has a 14 day guarantee on their red coris wrasse, so i don't think these are bad shippers per say.

Funny thing is that LA lists the halichoeres wrasses like the christmas wrasse, radiant wrasse, melanurus wrasse, the yellow and green halichoeres wrasses, the neon halichoeres and another 1 or two halichoeres as being not reef safe. I can speak from my experience,a nd several others that this is not true, and that they are reef safe. I would go as far to say "reef recommended". :)

12. oceanparadise1

Cool, well i have a flasher,green oranate six line and cleaner wrasse in the tank now and i want to add maybe one more as i LOVE these fish as well. When i find another one i like, do you mind if i hit you with a pm, and you can just say ya or na for reef safe and you seem to know a TON about them, thanks again hork