Corals wont stay alive

Discussion in 'Coral' started by BIOchem3, May 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

I never i cant mess things up, Im human but when Im top of my class at a D1 school with a prestigious program for Biochemistry, i do understand what i am doing somewhat.

A 20gal H
    The parameters listed on the first post are all liquid except the alkalinity as previously stated

2. Click Here!

3. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

Thank Corailline. I wasn't aware that it woudn't be needed in a smaller tank. I do a water change about ever 10-14 days. And which test would you recommend besides alkalinity? I have everything IN LIQUID by API (so there is no confusion) but the alkalinity which was shipped 2 days ago b.c i cannot find it at any LFS

4. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

Snails are fine, hence why I am confused. There have been no major swings in my parameters, if thats what you're possibly thinking. I thought of that too.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I was ruling out copper.

1 person likes this.
  6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

First off, I never called you anything. Second, I could care less if you are a doctor. You are dosing without proper testing! That is like taking medication, without knowing what your sickness is!

Also, why are you scrubbing your live rock? You are possibly restarting a new cycle each time you are doing this.

You have a lot to learn. If you ask for help & people are trying to help you. The "I think I know better attitude", has to go. If you did know better, you wouldn't be in this jam.

Also, comparing a pool to a reef system, are you serious? Good luck..

2 people like this.
  7. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

Why would there be copper? They DI water i use is the more expensive brand and i know in the past they used copper pipes when bottling and all but that is an old practice as it is not DI if it has impurities such as Cu

8. Click Here!

9. silor

silor Sea Dragon

+1 bro

1 person likes this.
  10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Sometimes it enters our tanks even when we are being careful. I had some get in my reef a few years ago and still dont know how it happened.

Btw, small amounts of cu are in our salt mixes and some of our trace dosing mixes. The cu is needed by inverts for certain biological processes. Therefore, you yourself are adding Cu to the tank. A Cu od is what kills our inverts.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

As suggested I would figure out the source of your algae issue. Something is feeding it.

Personally I would rather do a black out on the tank, than use an Algae fix type of medication/product in a tank containing corals.

Phosphates must be coming from somewhere or they are so bound up in the algae that you have you may not be getting an accurate level when testing for it.

Phosphates can wreak havoc on stony corals.

Try adding some other algae to compete with the current algae. Also if you can post an image of the algae to make sure we are not dealing with dinoflagelletes (sp), which can kill corals.

12. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

Once again never said I knew better. Obviously I DONT because I'm ASKING. NEVER compared a pool to a reef system. If you read that, it says I KNOW THAT THE STRIPS ARE INACCURATE FROM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, hence working at pools. NEVER ONCE compared the two. The strips were used as a TEMPORARY solution. Also from what I've read on here scrubing the ive rock outside of the tank is okay, which i did in a bowl of tank water. Its not extreme scrubbing just enough to loosen what was matted on there thick and it wasnt every rock either. Is this not okay?
    As for dosing it was an honest mistake. I was going off once again what I have researched and what the stupid ass bottle said.
    I came here because the people seemed to work with you, not try and put you down. Idk what i did to you but I was simply trying to get some answers.