Corals Not Opening

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Camkha1234, Jun 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

other parameters. Alk, Mag, Cal, amm,nitrite

IMO its sound like a mini cycle, that why your nit is so high

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I would suspect either lighting levels, flow, alk, calcium, or mag before nitrates. High although not great is not a big deal with zoas who unlike sps actually do better in water with some stuff in it rather than pristine water. Your nitrates are high and do need to be brought down but we need your other parameters to steer you in the right direction.

What is your lighting and where do you have your corals placed in the tank? Same with flow are they in areas of low mod or heavy flow? Different corals have different needs and if the lighting is too much or the flow too much they will stay closed. Also with corals the big 3 is the calcium magnesium and alk levels if they are out of whack the corals will not do well. Finally what is the SG corals should be 1.024-1.026.

As long as they are not bleached or brown then they are not dead or dying so you have time to correct the problem, just remember never correct anything too fast or you will shock them. If anything is off and needs brought up or down do it slowly to allow for acclimation to the proper levels.

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I am using a 2-bulb T5 fixture. I originally tried to put the in med flow/lighting, but have since them moved them under an overhang in low light/flow. They are still staying closed. Since I'm not old enough to have a job, I need to mow people's lawns to make money. I'll try to make enough money for the test kit. I'll definitely make the test kit a priority now. My salinity is at 1.024. The zoas are definitely not bleached or brown.

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

if water Testing is free at your LFS, i would ask them to test the top 3 for you.

6. Camkha1234

I'll ask them if they can. That'd be really helpful.

7. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Are you measuring salinity with a hydrometer or a refractometer? I would suggest the latter as a hydrometer if not rinsed properly every use will build up calcium deposits and read false levels. Maybe have the LFS double check that while you are there? If they are using a hydrometer, I would try to find a LFS with a refractometer. My zoas hate it when my salinity is just a little out of range.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

I am using a hydrometer. I know that they have a refractometer. I'll have them test it. I'm going to drive them crazy soon with all my problems ;D

10. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

If you do use a hydrometer make sure you soak it in white vinegar after every 2 or 3 uses to make sure you are getting the most accurate measurement you can. I find mine is pretty accurate but the stores refractometer usually reads my sample .001-.002 higher.

11. bullyhaze

bullyhaze Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

12. Camkha1234

That's very helpful. Thanks! I'll do that and check with my LFS just to make sure.