Corals not looking good, w/ pics

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cpandrewschmidt, Jan 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Andrew,

Don't add any supplements to your tank at this stage, particularly things like Strontium. Just concentrate on getting your Alk and Calc levels where they should be and the rest will just look after itself :)

It's great news that the corals seem to be responding :)

I wouldn't scrub the rocks at all unless you are trying to move some slime or hair algae.

John

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

That salinity level is really not that high...I keep mine at 1.026 ::)

I did switch to a refractometer to measue specific gravity and my hydrometer was quite off!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Birdlady,
    What is a refractometer? And where do I get one? I looked on yahoo and I just found things that were $700 so I doubt that is what I need for my tank. Thanks ;D

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

6. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to give you an update. Things are starting to turn around. The bubble coral is doing well, it fills up fully most of the day. Here is a pic of the Frogspawn/span. (which is it? :) It is doing real well, I moved it a little and it seems to like not being as high. However, the one stalk seems to be damaged. It there any fix to that? It's the only one to not open. The buttons/zoos (not sure the difference yet) are ok. I moved them back down because they didn't like it up high. They still don't seem to open. My friend who has kept a reef tank for a long time says he hasn't had great luck with these either. The anenome is filling up more than I have seen it. It finally ate today. Also, I got some cheap frags of Xenias because they were so cheap when I was at the store. They plused a lot the first day and haven't since then. You can see one on the far right. I should have waited but didn't want them to sell.

For my fixes I did another water change this weekend with RO, dialed in my hydrometer with the LFS, Still getting calc. up, and will soon be getting some Mag. in there because I was told that helps the coarls absorb the calc. but I still need a test kit. Also, changed the carbon and made the canister spotless (it was really dirty down at the bottom) I know have a weekly spreadsheet of a check list so that should help me stay on the game. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for everything. Keep the suggestions coming, I'll add more pics in a few days.

Andrew

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=cpandrewschmidt/Tank_012.jpg