Corals not looking good, w/ pics

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cpandrewschmidt, Jan 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

For my test kits I use Saltwater Master Test Kit for PH, Amm., Nit, Nitrate. For Cal. and Phosphate I use an Aquarium which might be bad. I called the LFS called Aquatic Specialties in Madison, WI they were pretty stumped also

I just changed out the carbon tonight. How long should I be running it in the filter? I get many different responses.

For water all I use is tap water with Prime water conditioner. I live in an appt and I am not sure how I would go about anyother water options. I can assume that is why I have the alge. What you guys/gals do for my water situation that is somewhat cost effective?

Andrew

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

What is the Prime conditioner supposed to do?

John

4. cpandrewschmidt

According to the label:
    Remove Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia Detoxifies Nitrate & Nitrate Provide Slime Coat Won't over drive skimmer

Thanks again everyone ;D

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

You can get a RO/DI unit for 120-140 bucks shipped from Filter Direct. Or check the one that sponsers 3Reef.
    As far as the carbon I replace mine every 2 weeks or so.
    Johno whats your opinion on carbon?

Jay

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=cpandrewschmidt link=board=ASAP;num=1105315471;start=15#22 date=01/10/05 at 20:51:18]According to the label:
    Remove Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia    Detoxifies Nitrate & Nitrate  [/quote]

Which may be the reason that your test kits are not registering anything.

I would try filling up a container with freshwater and letting it stand for a while to get rid of the Chlorine and then do a 25% water change.

The other thing that concerns me is the fact that it removes Ammonia, not a good thing in my humble opinion :)

John

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Jay link=board=ASAP;num=1105315471;start=15#23 date=01/10/05 at 20:54:55]You can get a RO/DI unit for 120-140 bucks shipped from Filter Direct. Or check the one that sponsers 3Reef.
    As far as the carbon I replace mine every 2 weeks or so.
    Johno whats your opinion on carbon?

Jay[/quote]

Jay,

I have always used carbon in a cannister filter with good results. I also agree with you re the RO/DI unit :)

John

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Johno I meen how often should we change it. I do it every 2 to 3 weeks give or take.

Andrew:

I think buying a RO/DI unit is almost a must just for the convienence and for yourself knowing that you are providing the best you can for your saltwater freinds.
    Corals and saltwater fish are so criticle about water conditions. Packing water from the store or wherever is a pain and I just dont think any water conditioner can do a good enough job removing all the bad stuff. But I havent used many conditioners. Installing a RO/DI unit is pretty easy. I just did mine under my kitchen sink. Tapped into the cold water with a inline adapter with a on and off switch and away I went. You can get all the parts from the RO/DI supplier. Let me know if you want a parts list. :)

Jay

10. cpandrewschmidt

Oh man,
    I don't know if I know much about plumbing and things. Am I even able to turn my water off to tap into it? I would really like a parts list. And the best for a reasonable budget and cheapest place to buy.

The carbon might have done some and moving, the are starting to fatten a bit and are maybe opening. I guess I will see tomorrow, Back to 24!!!

Andrew

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Jay link=board=ASAP;num=1105315471;start=15#26 date=01/10/05 at 21:18:23]Johno I meen how often should we change it. I do it every 2 to 3 weeks give or take.
    Jay[/quote]

Jay, that's a difficult question as so much depends on what is happening in each individual tank and also the quality of the carbon etc.

Once a month seems to be a good figure for me :)

John

12. beaverspork

beaverspork Astrea Snail