corals look sick/die

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by scottmwoods, May 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scottmwoods

scottmwoods Spaghetti Worm

The tank has been up and 1 year 3 months.

Lights Acan Lighting 600PA-18B Prism 18" Aquarium LED Light x2
    don't know what you mean by photo acclimate other than start the corals at the bottom of the tank and move them up closer to the top of the tank or move them down depending on how they react. I have had most of them in the tank for several months. It's just been over the last week or so that they have started to look sick.

I have the mp40's running at 65%

2. Click Here!

3. scottmwoods

Update Pics

Update to the pics. 2 of the frogspawn look better but the others look about the same

Attached Files:

4. scottmwoods

More pics

More pics

Attached Files:

5. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I asked about the lighting because nobody else had yet. It's always good to put out as much info as possible for people to read. It will only help you that much quicker. If you've had the light & corals together for some time, then the light is likely to be fine. Your light looks like its got every color possible in it. I'm surprised its only 70 watts. Are you running it at 100% now. Most of us with LEDs start off at 60% and work our way up with new LEDs. But yea to photo acclimate means to let corals adjust to the light intensity so they don't bleach out. It's odd since everything closed up around the same time. I don't use Gfo or any reactors, so I can't help with any of that. But I would look at putting the mp40's back at 55% just to see what happens for a bit. Do you have them plugged into your apex? I haven't programmed my mp10 into the apex yet. Just haven't had time.

6. scottmwoods

Lights are at 100%. I started them up at about 75% and worked them up over a couple of weeks. Yes the mp40's are controlled by the apex. I will change them down to 55% now and see what happens. I stopped using the gfo after I started noticing a problem but I still have the CA reactor going. I paid about $500 for it. I would hate to have wasted the money on it.

The Lights are also controlled by the Apex.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

There is another member here (Daniel) who also had issues with his corals dying off. He was running Gfo & thought that killed his corals. But recently he was running carbon & it cleared up so much that the LEDs caused his corals to burn. I believe that is correct. Not sure if you have done something like that but I think it's worth mentioning.

8. Click Here!

9. scottmwoods

I was running GFO but shut that off. I don't run carbon.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I think that right there is your problem; you probably don't to ever run these above 75%, let alone 100%.

I'd turn them way down (30-40%) for a 2-3 weeks and observe changes.

11. scottmwoods

I changed the lights so that they are a max of 70% mid day.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

hope you check back in and let us know how it goes! Your tank if very pretty BTW. Hopefully, the lighting is the ticket!