Corals into frags? how do you do it.

Discussion in 'Frags' started by dellyjoe, Nov 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Plus you have to get the superglue technique down. My first 2 or 3 came off. Good place to start is to search youtube for coral frag. That will give you an ideal of how to. Some are guys do a good job and others must be retired construction workers (LOL) their jerking out drill, saws, and dremils.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

very good point here , IME

SPS, buying frags, that have been cut from a coral in a reef tank and the frags have started to colonise the plug or rock rubble are a much better option than purchasing a SPS colony that has been removed from the sea

basically the frag is acclimatised to tank conditions and is thus better able to adapt to the artificial enviroment we create

wild collected SPS corals do not always adjust to well to reef tank conditions

my experience
    3 x wild collected colonies - lost 2 out of 3
    frags - about 30 SPS frags - lost none! OK got STN on one, but it continued to colour up and grow despite the white areas on the base of each branch

but with odds like the above
    tank raised SPS frags = better chance of success IME

Steve

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

youtube has alot of fraggin videos, just do a search.. "frag (type of coral)"

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Great information on searching YouTube there are a ton of examples.
    Almost every coral type can be fragged the technique and equipment differ but the theory is the same. All corals have the same body parts the main reason SPS are easier to frag is because your not cutting a polyp in half and therefore not requiring any healing. Where as with LPS and soft corals many times you are cutting a polyp in half and that is what weakens the coral. Proper healing time is needed

J

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Here's a really good video on fragging corals. It's over an hour, but he frags all sorts of corals, and explains lots about it.