Corals for Dummy Question :-)

Discussion in 'Coral' started by kcbrad, Nov 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Wow! I'm so excited. This is going to be so fun! Another thing to spend money on. Haha.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would try zoas/palys first. They are probably by far the easiest, except maybe star polyps. Xenia can be hit or miss. It thrives in some tanks, while it just dies in others for no apparent reason. I would hate to have you get discouraged after losing a coral on the first try.

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

oh yeah, zoas are great corals.. do you have a good LFS near by KC?

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Looking online I saw a paly that I thought was really neat looking. You can tell me what you think about it: anthelia. I also like capnella. I haven't read up a lot on these, but from skimming a bit I like these.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I have four really nice ones all within a 20 mile radius of my house, so I should be able to find something...I hope...of course who knows how expensive they are! :eek:

7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

they are pretty cheap.. for example I got most of my zoa colonies for $10-$15,
    also when you go in have the LFS test your water for you.. just bring a tupperware full of water and they should do it for free.. then they can tell you if its ready or not..

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay, exciting. I will use this week to research and then next week I'll get on it!

10. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

i just ordered my first eBay corals ill let ya know how that goes for me kc, there are some good deals on there if u can get past the shipping costs >,<

1 person likes this.
  11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Please let me know how it goes. Ordering from the internet always makes me nervous, though there are good deals to be had! Hope it all works out!

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

i didnt make it through all the pages, but zoas are practically indestructible. I have lost some to the cracks of the rockwork, forgotten about them and was reunited months later with a surviving zoa. palys are the same way...let see...rics are very easy....discosoma too...

edit: hah figures...I should have checked the last page...oh well, it it typed up and I am not going to erase. :p:)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    1 person likes this.