Corals for Dummy Question :-)

Discussion in 'Coral' started by kcbrad, Nov 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

What's your setup look like? Lighting and tank size?

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Awww...that's so nice! And I totally would, but I don't know if they would make it that far....When I flew to to Alabama I barely made it! :)

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I have a 37 gallon tank. Right now I have an okay light (I can't remember what it's called, but the LFS guy said it would be okay for low-moderate light corals), but if I get into corals I think I'll buy a new light. Any recommendations are welcome.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

do you have a picture of your light fixture.. Especially the bulbs?

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Actually the aggressiveness only partly has to do with tentacles/stinging. There are many ways a coral can be aggressive. They can conduct chemical warfare. They can Grow over another and block the light, or just grow around the base and dislodge others. There are plenty of pretty aggressive corals that have zero ability to sting with a tentacle. ;) Your fish for the most part should be OK, though I have had a tang injured by my torch before, so it can happen. But nothing to the point of death. More like a smart bump ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

No....when my hardwood floors dry (they were just coated with a water base finish) in a few hours I can go look at the light. My poor fish - they've been in the dark covered with a sheet all day!

8. Click Here!

9. NaClCrocodile

Power Compacts? Yeah, not the best, but low light corals will be fine. Oh... you'll get into corals. My first was a Duncans but that was becasue I got a good deal. If I were you, I'd try xenias first - try and keep them on a rock so they don't take over. If you kill those, I'd do a battery of tests. They're pretty hardy.

1 person likes this.
  10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Wow! I barely know anything about corals, and hearing all this makes me realize how amazing they are. Nature is awesome! I definitely have to have some. My fish love to crash into things, lol, so we'll see how they handle the corals. Glad your tang was okay!

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

What do you do if the coral starts to take over? I definitely want to start with hardy and low light. If I can handle those then I may upgrade my light to keep more! I'll need to buy some water test kits, too.

12. NaClCrocodile

Like it'll spread. Fast. I remember seeing a tank that got creative with their xenias. They had them covering an entire side of the tank.