corals food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by horsemare, Jan 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horsemare

horsemare Plankton

Sorry but I'm new to the SW world. What is the best thing to feed your corals? and how often should I feed them?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi horsemare, welcome to 3reef first of all!
    As for coral feeding, many corals do not require target feeding or other types of foods such as phyto or zooplankton being introduced into your water column.
    Many corals receive their nutrients from their host zooxanthellae as a result of the photosynthetic process,as well as absorb nutrients in the form of dissolved organics and particulates as is the case with many species of Octocorals(soft corals).
    I would not be too concerned about the feeding of corals as many times this opens the door to decreased water parameters and algae outbreaks contributed to excessive nutrients in the pelagic areas of your tank!
    Knowing the types of corals and info about them combined with husbandry issues can inform you as to food requirements, but I wouldn't be too concerned as often times less is more!!!!
    Good luck!

4. horsemare

horsemare Plankton

Thank you. I'm just trying to do my best not to lose any.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Many lps like to be fed and will grow faster if fed, but it's not necessary most of the time. I like to feed my corals once a week and feed them mysis shrimp. I also add a filter feeder food to the tank once every other day or so, just a small pinch.

6. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

What type of corals do you have, or plan on getting..??
    Starting out, I would go with soft corals.. Leathers, mushrooms, etc..
    Pick corals to go with your lighting, and tank size..
    JMHO, but I belive some corals do better, grow bigger by hand feeding..
    And some really need to be.. Then again, depends on the type of coral..

Good Luck, Larry