Urgent Corals dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

0 nitrate 0 ammonia. Have tested multiple times with 2 diff test kits. Going to get copper test kit tomorrow.

2. Click Here!

3. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

I would Maybe throw in some carbon or Chemipure. It may help if it is indeed copper or other contaminants you can't test for.

4. Toallhisdoom

Already put fresh carbon in. Hopefully things will look better tomorrow.

5. Toallhisdoom

Well the poly-filter has turned blue which I believe indicates copper salts. So hopefully it will remove it all before everything dies... :(

What a jerk the guy that sold me the tank was! I asked if he ever used copper medicines or anything.
    never trust anyone. ugh

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Why did you use some of his rock???????:confused::confused:

7. Toallhisdoom

No. But I used his plumbing? I thought after 1 fill and drain with vinger. Then 3 more fill and drains with fresh water it would be enough. But somehow its still in there? Unless the dry rock and sand I bought had copper in them? But I soaked/rinsed that as well...

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There is naturally copper in SW. You need to test for it and get some CupriSorb if you test for levels above natural copper levels for SW.

What you need to know about copper and coral - Reef Central Online Community

Personally I do not think that is the problem. IMO it's acclimation stress from moving everything over into a tank not cycled, and using tap water. Sensitive inverts such as Anemones and Corals just do not handle that stress well.

I come to this conclusion because I have tried to pull off the same tank exchange with less than favorable results. After that I learned how to soft cycle tanks and how to organize and get things ready for quicker tank transfers, I became much more successful at it. Personally you should really avoid the tap water unless you have had it effectively tested for a number of things. Live and learn.

10. Toallhisdoom

Going to get a test kit today. The poly-filter is supposed to turn brown over time under normal conditions. It is BLUE! Says on the package blue indicates copper.
    Maybe it is just copper in my tap water?
    I have been using tap water for water changes, and ATO for months with no issues.

Guess I will just start over. Gotta get a new RO unit.
    What a good portable one I can just attach to my sink quick? I have an apartment so cant hard plumb one in really.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Get CupriSorb if you need to and do not start over, you'll surely kill everything a second time around.
    If you insist on changing out some of the water I would buy the LFS water.
    You still need to keep testing though because Prime only binds up toxins like ammonia eventually unless the tank cycles you might see a full blown cycle and a cascade of die off, leading to more die off.........

12. Toallhisdoom

I am not going to change anything. Just going to let it run. All the fish seem fine and are eating. I am soaking all their food in selcon.