Corals dying and looking pale :-(

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by rcflyer1388, May 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Just curious, what is the Ph during the day?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I lost a mess of SPS when my pH dipped to 7.2. They started shedding tissue.

4. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

yea I remember you had that Sheetrock issue that fell in and sunk your PH. hope it's all recovering from that.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It is, thank you. It looks phenomenal right now. Hope things work out for you.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Since we're in the middle of a season change, what have you changed in your home if anything? Switch to AC? Open windows?

7. rcflyer1388

nothing really that I can think of. I live I an apartment. other than the heating in the building being off that's about it. Was opening the windows today to try and raise the PH a bit and it's back to 8.1ish right now in the afternoon. it sunk to 7.6 last night again so I upped the kalk dosing to counter that for tonight hopefully.

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

So I got the PH stabilized for the most part and STNing came to a stop on a few of the coral. Now I'm getting STN on one of my green birdsnest :-(....Again I checked all the parameters and they are fine with Alk being on the lower side of 7dKH....Being that my Phosphates are at .04ppm, I will stop using GFO on the tank and give it a few more days to see what happens. My chaeto in the sump has grown out of the water and will leave it as large as I possibly can. It's been doing a great job at keeping my nitrates at 0ppm along with the monster skimmer I have set up. I'm also suspect of the Kent salt mix that I am using. Will be placing an order and going back to Reef Crystals. I'm having too much of a problem maintaining my Alk in the tank and hoping going back to Reef Crystals will cure that problem. This one is pretty hard to explain as to whats going on, especially since half of my coral are thriving while the other half are dying.