Corals closed up and pissed..Please help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefchiver, Feb 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefchiver

reefchiver Plankton

Ok, 2 days ago I switched out my HOB aqueon 55/75 gal filter for a 10 gal sump and had to switch around my powerheads due to the placement of the HOB overflow box. I also did a water change at the same time. Since then my devils hand, frogspawn, kenya trees, and duncan have all been closed up and pissed. I also have a zooanthid frag and a plate coral frag who haven't been affected as much but still arent happy. Will they get used to the new flow pattern? I rearranged the powerheads to where the corals still have the recommended flow. If they dont get any better I thought about going back to my old filter. I thought the sump would improve everything. BTW, the fish are fine. Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Did you rule out water chemistry issues, one of those being SG?
    Are the power heads blasting the corals? What brand of powerhead?

I would not go back to the HOB just yet, a sump is far superior. I would run some carbon, check water chemistry including ammonia since you removed a component of the biological filter.

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

well assume you checked all parameters.. may want to post them as people are going to ask for them. Could be the flow change.. I would not rush back to the HOB. Did you add any media or anything else to the new Sump?

EDIT: ya what corailline said

5. reefchiver

reefchiver Plankton

Water parameters are fine and SG is the same. I added a skimmer to the sump, aside from that nothing new was added as far as filtration. I have 2 hydor 750 gph heads on each side neither one blasting the corals. The return pump is only a 250 gph so it's not much of an issue as far as adding flow I wouldn't think, plus I have it pointing toward the surface. 55 gallon tank..I'll post pic when I get a chance

6. Salmo salar

Salmo salar Flamingo Tongue

If you saved the media from the hob and its still wet and hasnt gotten too cold I might put some in my sump to help seed some clean baserock. Do you run a sandbed in your dt, if so how deep?
    Another option could be a live dsb in your refugium.

7. reefchiver

reefchiver Plankton

I didnt save the media from the HOB filter but i did put some rock that was in the display tank in the sump. Sand bed in display is roughly 1.5" deep and i didnt have enough room in the 10 gallon sump to put a refugium. In the first chamber of the sump I have the skimmer and some live rock,I have a media bag with carbon stuffed in the bubble trap baffles, then in the return chamber I have another piece of live rock along with the return pump.

8. Click Here!

9. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

My guess is the flow change. I pulled my wave makers out and cleaned them the other day. When I put them back in my corals were not happy. I had them placed pretty much the same as they were but I am sure they were off a little bit. It took the corals a few hours, but they did open back up. I would look at changing the the flow from the power heads. Or wait, the corals may just need a few days to adjust to the new flow.

10. reefchiver

reefchiver Plankton

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

the powerheads look to be set completely different in the two pics. I would say it's the flow change.

12. reefchiver

reefchiver Plankton

they are set the exact opposite due to where i had to put the overflow box. As long as they will get used to the flow, that's ok. Just wanted to make sure they'll be back to their happy selves. I made the change Sunday and they havent been the same since