corals and LED light.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by deannnn, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Those are expensive. Sure. But nowhere, does it say they are intended for high depths.

Also, made of stunner strips in an aluminum cover. - "The LEDs are a mix (75:25%) of 8000K Daylight and 460nm Actinic LEDs. Each Panorama LED module also includes a Stunner 453nm LED strip fixture for additional lighting or as a moonlight effect. The LED fixtures offer a high output, low energy consumption light that will not require a cooling fan, allowing for silent, cool operation. The Panorama LED light will provide the proper spectrum and intensity for most reef aquariums."

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

it says its equivelant to 400 watt mh right in the overview. obviously wrong.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Where is that, not seeing that... regardless, the claim would need to be verified with par readings....

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

The ignorance and arrogance displayed in this thread by a few really makes me want to punch babi^H^H^H^H things.

Precisely, thank you.

Why must you insist on only considering a Panorama fixtures? This is what you base ALL your experience on? HA!

Thank you, again. Go take a look at this: http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/diy-dimmable-rapidled-kit-converting-mhs-96138.html My SPS grows just fine, in fact better than it did under 250W MHs. I spent ~1100 (I made things look nice, not half-***ed) but this isn't much more than a nice MH fixture with some supplimental lights. I now have no issues with cooling, and I won't have to buy bulbs ever again. I'm easily saving losts of money in a years time. There's more light penetration at the bottom of my tank (24") too compared to 250W MHs. I'd never go back.

I could post plenty of examples from other forums in which people have shown (with PAR meters) that LEDs can easily outperform MHs.

This isn't a matter of debate, it's a matter of education...

1 person likes this.
  7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

No sir, thank you.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

:confused: pointing up at me i.e. "^"s? I thought my responses were pretty mellow and balanced :-/

I agree with your other points though... Didn't want to link to other forums, but there is plenty of par data on the web showing par data for leds.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Ha! Not at all sir. Techy humor for the unix/linux nerds. ^H is equivalent to backspace. I was deleting the start of a "word" and replacing it with "things". ;)

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Phew, I was worried I might need a hardhat at MACNA ;D

12. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

I've done a LED Retro over my 12 gallon, and have noticed a dramatic color shift in corals from the Compacts that were over the tank before. Some frags that i've moved from my T5 VHO reef have also colored up under my LED system. I prefer LED's over t5 bulbs right now. On such a small tank the heat thrown off from LEDS can be negligible at best meaning ultra quiet operation with a small computer fan.