corals and LED light.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by deannnn, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

^^ LOL nuff said ;D Moses has spoken.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. deannnn

deannnn Astrea Snail

so just wondering...
    LED as a suitable light source for corals is a no...

problem is my hood has limited space... So, what would be the best, option... for limited space? :D

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Certainly, just make sure to match the optics to the desired coverage area.

You can calculate the coverage as ((lens angle / 2) TAN * distance from light) * 2

This is sort of a overestimate though because the outer edges will be shifted towards red (which isn't usable by corals) due to chromatic edit: diffraction *not really aberration, i.e. refraction - too late I guess. It will depend on the actual spectrum of the leds, but maybe scale this by 80% or so to be safe.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

+1. Good tip.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

leds will not grow coral well, considering that they cost so much they should be twice as good as metal halides, funny thing is that they arent yet close to output of halides except in massive fixtures costing thousands, if you have limited space go with halide or t5

7. Seano Hermano

I already showed you several fixtures that don't cost "$1,000s". I only know of two that even cost that high of a price. A higher up-front cost does not mean they do not preform well. It simply means they are expensive, to some people.

LEDs will preform well, but yo may need more depending on the size of your tank(they are more of a spotlight).

OP, read what we have all said and make the decision for yourself.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I'm not sure you are anywhere near accurate in your statements throughout this thread. I have LEDs above my 24" deep tank, they are brighter (to the eye) than the dual 250's that I had on it previously. My total cost for the LEDs was less than $500. It is comprised of CREE XP-G Whites, XR-E Blues, Cool Whites, a few Reds and UVs for a fuller spectrum. I don't have PAR readings on my tank (and I seriously doubt you do on yours either). So for $500, I'm willing to "take a risk" as you seem to believe. I did not spend THOUSANDS of dollars on "lights that don't work." Having experience with BOTH Metal Halides and LEDs, I prefer the colors of my LEDs over MH. The cost of my LEDs were less than my MHs, and there is NO heat given off, as would not be the case with Metal Halides. I do not knock metal halides at all...quite the contrary. I just did not like the fact that you are spreading you inexperienced opinion as fact. Good day.

1 person likes this.
  10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i simply mean that on any aquarium over 20 inches deep halides will outperform leds every time, i have had experience with both and have had way better coral health and growth with halides, i dont necessarily not like leds i just fine halides much better and pleasing to the eye more so than led's

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

leds probably grow some soft coral, but not even any sps or maybe some lps. halides give you more for the $ you spend on them. dollor for dollor halides are better.

12. Seano Hermano

Only time shall tell.