corals and LED light.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by deannnn, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

saying the same about you, have you owned an led setup. are you happy with it? its ridiculous

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Light Emitting Diodes have a long lifespan in general...not just in our hobby. It's known that they can last mcuh longer. It is because the energy being put out is 90% light and only 10% heat compared to the much higher output of heat from MH, T5HO, or really any other kind of bulb on the market right now.

4. element

element Fire Worm

I guess ignorance is bliss huh? Unreal.:cry:

5. Seano Hermano

Your just going off your own opinion? How can you say that? lol.

It's not about getting "suckered" into it, or being taken advantage of.

Over 10 years you are going to spend a MINIMUM of $750, just on bulbs. LEDs are also supposed to last 15 years...compared to the what, 1 year of MH?

6. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well considering I have 2 120 watt LED fixtures that have 9 and 12 bad LED's (after 2 mos. of use) and don't even come close to twin 400 Watt Mh's I think I can state what is true.

So what merit do you base your arguement upon?

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

lack of durability isn't necessarily a fundamental property of leds. the main issue being that the heat is generated on the back, not the front, so a really big heatsink is needed to remove this without burning out the electronics. Most of the affordable ones seem to be made in china and skimp on this criteria. The other ones are absurdly expensive. Diy ones however don't have to have either limitation. As far as output. leds don't reflect light as well as MHs, but on shallower tanks this isn't much of an issue. You can use optics, but to get the depth penetration, you start to loose efficiency. That's my interpretation anyways...

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

I have not yet gotten LEDs but I will be doing so for my 29g (soon to be) SPS reef. I'm looking into the Orphek PR-25 Par38 Spotlights, which were designed to be replacing the 400w metal halide. I have talked to them and should be getting 2 of these spots. in early Feb.

Hands-on Preview of Orphek's PR-25 PAR38 LED Spotlight - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog

What brand/fixture of LEDs did you have?

10. Seano Hermano

Efficiency is lost on a wider optic lens, not a skinnier. For example, a 40* optic lens is better than a 60*. This is because the 40* is penetrates on a more exact point, being spread over a smaller area, but it will reach deeper depths in the water.

11. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

12. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I can't wait until I save up enough money to make my leds, and not getting this years replacement bulbs will pay for a nice chunk of it. DIY leds if you don't like what you already got imo