corals and LED light.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by deannnn, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This is exactly what I was thinking...::)

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

no matter how many bulbs you buy its better than buying a fixture that costs as much as a car. i know alot of people are very defensive about led and its output. probably because they have led's but metal halides have been and still are the best fixture aavailable for growing any type of coral. led's might be sufficient for some but for now they just arent as powerful.

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

how much replacement coral will you buy when all your prized colonies die?

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

LOL well why would any one want 400 wats of cree LED power for a fish or coral tank?

That would be the same as six 1000 watt MH/'s by comparrision at 24" of water depth.

Seriously- look at the PAR value- it is all that you can use as a mesureable value right now(IMHO). MH kicks LED's proverbial arse at anything more then 20" of depth.

BTW- Where are your corals at- this should be the question?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I'm not 100% convinced by the 10 year bulb replacement cost argument either though. Certainly theoretically leds should last that long, but the unfortunate truth is manufactures like to cut corners to save money... we just won't know for sure if the life expectancy marketing is true for some time. There is a valid point there...

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i couldnt possibly word it any better

8. Click Here!

9. element

element Fire Worm

How could you possably have enough experiance to form this strong of opinion on something that you obviously have not read up on ANY recent advancements of or have any real desire to?:-/

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Who can afford to put leds on anythingover 24" deep? LOL, sorry playing devils advocate tonight, must be board... ;D

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I just don't understand how one can have such a an opinion on something they obviously do not know much about...

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

do you not get this? what hobbyist in his right mind one want to buy led's except the foolish ones that get suckered into it. led's arent anyy competition for mh's. they get crushed in comparison for output and durability. and also price