corals and LED light.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by deannnn, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. element

element Fire Worm

Your acros didn't die from your LED's. They Died from not enough LED's. 2 strips will not replace 400w MH.

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

nicely put, leds are very expensive and not near as powerful as mh

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i said a panorama fixture, Panorama System | Fixtures | PetSolutions these are several strips in one, i repeat metal halides are much more powerful than any led's just no argument there.

5. element

element Fire Worm

There is an argument there that I don't have time to get into now, maybe later little one.:eek:

6. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

LED is a great lighting alternative for fish and low light coral only tanks at the present time, however, they do not (1 to most 2 watt values even some 3 watters) have enough PAR for most large tanks due to the PAR requrired for good health of said critters.

When you compare the required PAR vrs. MH, LED fails to provide enough light at a given depth (PAR) that most critters require for good long term health. I really wish it was other wise- for if it were so I would own them. The benifits would be vast to say the least.

7. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

one for one yes....but 400W of cree LED is going to produce more light than 400W MH. how much of that light cant really be used is still in question.

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

its just unrealistic, who would pay twelve hundred dollars for a light fixture that has less output than a 400 dollar light fixture.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

dollar for dollar, not watt for watt... leds produce more usable light per watt, but also cost a heck of lot more per watt. just clarifying...

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

there is no fixture with 400 watts of led, that would have tons of lights since leds normally have lower wattage with more light.

12. element

element Fire Worm

How many 400w MH bulbs will you have to buy in 10 years?