corals and LED light.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by deannnn, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA 3reef Sponsor

Whoa, there. Our PR-156 and 156W fixtures are designed to replace 400w halides. Our PR-25 are in between a 70w and a 150w halide replacement. :) However, trying to compare LEDs to halides doesn't work at all, as the captive aquatics blog pointed out!

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

FaceOfDeceit
    evolved
    About time both of you guys speak up.. Where have you guys been, especially, evolved?

From a secret fan of yours. And I know Im not the only one.

1 person likes this.
  4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Sorry about that. I posted to the wrong fixture! lol. I was talking about the ones I was going to get and got confused...

Here's the on that replaces the 400w MH.

Orphek PR-156 Reef Aquarium LED Light Review - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog

5. ReddDevil

ReddDevil Plankton

Led vs others

I have read sum of this long winded post and I have built several DIY leds rigs and to say they are not as good as other lighting systems is just a FALSE statement! From my research they give more PAR with less Watts and do infact grow coral very well....;) Now I know they have not been around that long and have yet to "prove them-selves" like others that have been around longer,but that is just a matter of time....The tech is still advancing and will soon prove it self.... I am new here and do not want to step on anyones toes and am sorry if I did so here.

Redd

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Thanks for your input. Change is always "scary." I, among others here also have built LED rigs, and will be displaying our progress here to help along the LED progress. It is still new, but hopefully enough people are giving it a shot to fuel more skeptics to take a closer look.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Thank you very much, extremely nice and kind to hear.

I don't have too much time over the weekends to be on the site, so I have to get caught up come Mondays. :)

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I'll offer this, for those who are too ignorant to believe LEDs can grow coral:

First day of LEDs, photo taken on 10/25/10 (only the royal blues were on here, but this is the best angle I have to do a grow comparison with the next picture):
    [​IMG]

Photo taken 2.5 months later on 1/11/11:
    [​IMG]

10. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Wow! Look at all the Fish LEDs grew!!! ;D Simply amazing!

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

ok i feel like an idiot, i am a hypocrite. i have been insisting that led's are pretty much crap and cant compare to halides, but boy was i wrong! i just got a 156 watt fixture and it is amazing, my corals perked up majorly and it looks fantastic. my apologies for being an @$$

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Ha! I did note the lack of fish in the first picture, but didn't expect that response. They're all a bunch of beggars. ;D