coralline question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bvb-etf-luva, May 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have never really had great corraline growth in any tank. i want to do everything righ tho in this tank.

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

do some tanks just not get good coraline growth?

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Have you been testing your water for calcium/alk levels? With maintaining that at a somewhat decent level and using at least some live rock... I'm not sure how you could keep it from growing! What type of lighting were you using on your old tanks? How long were they established?

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

A 5G SPS tank is a daunting task and I would not not recommend it to anyone but an expert. I don't think you will need to worry about coralline growth because if you are successful with SPS the coralline will come. All the components that will keep SPS healthy will also promote coralline growth

So do you have the tank? is the set up started?

J

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

ya in my nano build, its set up with rock and sand. its cycling as we speak. i have kept sps in a 16 gallon tank and im going to have a 10 gallon sump on this tank most likely so that will make it alot easier i think. do you guys reccomend a sump on such a small tank?

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

A sump's function is only to increase water volume and to hide unsightly equipment like heaters, Skimmers, fluidized filter. So yes getting bigger water volume is a good thing.

I'd think if you where going to have a 10G sump why not have a 10G display and a 5G sump or even better a 10G display and a 10G sump. Mind you after having a 370G tank I'm struggling with the small size of my current 120G (90G sump)

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

well my parents are doing me a favor by even letting me have a tank, and its on my desk and theres just enough room for a 10 gallon sump on the shelf below it. i think ill just stick with that plan as i have the tank already cycling and such with rocks and sand.

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

First you tell us you have never kept SPS, now you tell us you know their care? Also, your tank is tiny, one 260 koralai will be too mouch. This is not a stock 5, it is short and cut down. 2 powerheads will leave you know room. Try a Hydor Pico Evolution Pump. They are half as big as a koralia nano.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

dude, ive kept tons of sps, probably more sps than softies or lps. i know there care i just havent kept them since a few tanks back. i have been told by like 5 very experienced people on this board that i should do one koralia nano and maybe even 2

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yes, but good luck. That's Way a lot of flow. Each time someone suggests something you respond by sayin you've seen it done or someone told you so.