Coralline Growth

Discussion in 'Algae' started by BaxterS80, Jan 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Why would coraline turn white?

2. Click Here!

3. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue

Coralline turns white when it dies, when I upgraded my lighting a large section of purple turned to white, but now it has bounced back and then some! Usually competing algae causes my coralline to whiten and retreat. (im working on that, raising the PH and keeping NO3's low, and good water circulation helps out greatly as well)

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

But where mine is, theres no algae. Wait, maybe I know what happened. Could it be that when I did a water change, the coraline spent to much time out of the water?

5. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue

Possibly, and if you left the lights on then the light's intensity could be effectively magnified enough to result in bleaching. As long as the normal parameters are kept in check it should come right back however. For me, more life and activity = less coralline, and it helps to leave lights off usually that's when I see the most coralline growth! so high lighting hasn't been the biggest factor for me atleast, my tank is also still somewhat new..

6. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

Thats still wierd I have had this tank running for 5 years now and it seems like I get it growing good for a while then it just goes away but it stays on the rocks just not the glass maybe I should not be mad I hate scraping my glass as it is. I used to use lots of purple up but I have negleted buying any in the last 6 months We ran out at the store and I just ordered more so I will try it and let you know I just did a Iodine test oops I need a bit I used to dose it all the time then I didnt need to and hadnt checked it in a while guess I know whats on the store order list this week a big bottle and a bunch of salt for some water changes.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Whats your Cal. level?

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Reef,
    Well, I think you answered your own question. If your iodide levels are low that certainly could be a contributing factor. Iodide is one of the elements that give Coralline its color. 8)