coralline growth?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by oldfishkeeper, Nov 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

^ Hair

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Ahhh......1979 I wish I could go back......the year I graduated HS! and the year of a popular play :) I guess I'm allowed to hi-jack my own thread - let's see if anyone else besides 40 year old virgin movie-goers know ;) Corailline (just realized I've been spelling your nick incorrectly) gave an awesome hint!

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Dry sense of humor? Say it ain't so. Well I'll give you a hint, generally I think if you assume I'm half serious, you probably won't be off much more than 50% of the time ;)

5. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I just started my tank 5 months ago. I've pieced it all together saving a ton of cash. It's a 75 gallon tank. I rigged a hood/canopy up and hard wired 4t5s. Two blue + two blue specials and just painted the canopy flat white on the inside. In 3 months I had good coraline growth. On the glass and most of my rock had quarter size spots of it. Two weeks ago a friend gave me a 6 lamp t5 high bay fixture with stainless reflectors. I still just have the four lamps but with the new reflectors 95% of it burnt away. Either turnned white or is just gone.... Sonofa..... LOL should have cut the time back unti the tank adjusted to the new light

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, you know how to get it back! Congrats on having such good growth on a young tank! You must be doing something right.

7. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Most of the growth was before I added my live stock also. My skimmer is horrible so the little bit of over feeding messed my phosphates all up. I cut way back on food and the algae issues are almost gone. So it really seems as if what people are saying about lower blue lighting and no phosphates is where you'll see it take off. I never added magnesium because I don't have a test kit for it