coralline growth?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by oldfishkeeper, Nov 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

i run a 6 bulb t5 over my 75 with whiter light, say i get bluer bulbs would that help out the pinks and purples as opposed to green?

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Green is probably just microalgae, overgrowing the coralline. I tend to see that most in tanks with intense lighting, when phosphate goes up a bit. Lower light helps though, as does low phosphate. Certainly ca, alk, mg and time.

4. Tom Owens

Tom Owens Astrea Snail

Are you saying you ONLY run white bulbs? Like the 50/50's?

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I run 4 T5 bulbs on a 54 gallon tank. I run the actinics for about half the time and all for only about 4 hours with a total of about 7 each day.

6. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

the best advice i can give you as i have been reefing for 3 years now and noticed it does grow on its own and i have tried purple up in the past and really didn't see anything happen as that and i did what i am suggesting to you is go to your lfs or a fellow reefer and have them scrap some off there glass and just drop it in your tank and it will take off i just scraped a bunch off my glass but that is the best way to get it to take off

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I have tried to seed with coralline from my snails but maybe it wasn't enough. Do you just throw it in and turn off skimmers and and such?

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

For some reason, some people just have it and some don't. It's strange to me. When I had my sps dominated tank with calcium reactor and all, I couldn't get coralline started to save my soul. At the same time, my softie tank was growing it like crazy with no dosing at all.

10. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

MY tanks been up for 6 months and I have slim to none and I'm running 72w of PC lighting, so I don't know about the whole "lower light thing". However I do know that alot of things that work in some peoples tanks don't work in mine and vice-versa. This hobby is full of answers ... lol.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I couldn't have said it better myself.

1 person likes this.
  12. benjaminS

benjaminS Astrea Snail

magnesium really helps?