Coralline Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SJR, Jun 25, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Another thing to remember...is coraline algae is a "calcium based" algae and from the looks of it, saw, i dont think that is coraline algae and i am gona agree with diver...

Alother plus of coraline algae is well..heck it looks good :)

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

but sometimes it can go crazy and grow every where;D like my tank in this picture I didn't clean my tank for 4 weeks[​IMG]

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Coralline algae is desirable because of the coloration it gives the rock. Now, let me ask you a question...

Which type of rock would you prefer, duller rock with zero color, or a rock with natural blends of color? Coralline algae enhaces the appearence of rock and is beneficial to the filtration of your ecosystem. They introduce magnesium and the such to inverts, outgrow nuissance algae, etc.

Maybe this article will better help answer your question:
    http://www.algone.com/coralline_algae.htm

5. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

I've been putting kalk in mine for about 2 weeks,and i've got got color all over the place! (even the store bought clam has color...)

1 person likes this.
  6. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Diver is right. So is Bruce. The purple stuff easily brushes off, so it is a type of red algae, not coralline algae...

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

thats so true allaboutfish, cept...when i leave mine for that long i need extra razors...i was really lazy for a month and when i tried to clean it the razor bent lol...

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

You know, maybe it's red hair algae with purple coralline growing on the top layer of it, no? Could be a possibility as coralline grows on everything. I have even seen it grow on my Zoanthid tissue. Unbelieveable.

10. cdmorrison01

cdmorrison01 Astrea Snail

That happened to me once when I had my 55g. I was excited to see a redish color on my back glass and thought it was coralline algae...nope. Nuisance algae bloom from hell.