coralline algae growth

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by hottielover14, Apr 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1081626416;start=15#28 date=04/21/04 at 14:30:37]but will distilled work until I get a RO/DI unit. Will a RO/DI with a refuge really help out and keep water clean.[/quote]

With pure water from an RO/DI unit it will contain your water quality that will keep things out of your tank that would be harmful.
    Distilled bottle water? cost what? 80 cents? I guess if you want to spend alot of money doing this you can but distilled does not compare to RO/DI purity. anything is better then tap water.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

4. hottielover14

i've been noticing all this green algae growing on my glass walls and so i tried to scrap it off but it wouldn't come off it felt like it was part of the glass. Like it was encrusted i know thats' what coralline algae does but could it be green coralline algae. I'm also seeing some red. I don't really want green i want pink and purple. Is there some way that i could get it off if it grows too much. How can i get pink and purple my cal is perfect and alk.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I had some Marshall Island LR that had green coralline.  It also had an awesome dark purple that only thrived in the shade.  Anything dark purple exposed to my MH's died off.

You have to think like a farmer...if you want corn, ya gotta plant corn seeds.  If you want wheat, ya gotta plant wheat seeds.

If you want pink and red coralline, it's a good idea to scrape pink and red coralline algae in front of a powerhead to spread the spores.  If you don't already have any of those colors, it's a good practice to borrow a rock from a friend and scrape.

However, if you want it to take off you need to keep parameters balanced and phosphates low as well.

6. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

[quote author=inwall75 link=board=Water;num=1081626416;start=30#33 date=07/09/04 at 18:33:27]You have to think like a farmer...if you want corn, ya gatta plant corn seeds.  If you want wheat, ya gotta plant wheat seeds.[/quote]

I like that analogy inwall. Yes sir, I like it very much. hehe [smiley=biggrinbounce.gif]

phil

7. hottielover14

My nitrates are at 0 and phosphates are low. I have a lot of pink and purple coralline on my LR. How do i scrape it. If i scrape it won't it look bad w/out the coralline. Isn't that what makes it look good. I don't want green coralline algae.

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Just use a clean razorblade and scrape some of the coralline on your rock, You don't have to scrape it until it is gone just so you will get some spores floating around the tank you can scrape some on one rock and then some from the others ;). ...................... John

10. hottielover14

ok do i need to scrape off a lot.

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

No But I think that you will find that the coralline on the rock is a lot thicker than you think.. Just scrape it and you will see it start floating around in the tank if you think you are scraping too much on one rock change to another........................... John

12. hottielover14

should i turn off any pumps or anything.