coralline algae growth

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by hottielover14, Apr 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1081626416;start=0#3 date=04/11/04 at 09:35:54]I add strontium every 4 days and calcium every 5 days and iodine every week. My ph is 8.2, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0.05, nitrate is 12ppm, calcium is 495 mg/L, alk is 4.5 meg/L, and my salinity is 1.022. I don't see any colored algae in mine except for a little brown. No my LR is not bleach white and I have purple, pink,red and greens on my LR. I do a 10% water change every week. I change my filter media every month. No I don't know what it's supposed to look like in a 5 month old tank but I'm guessing that it looks like all coralline algae like purple everywhere.[/quote]

Stop doing weekly water changes for one thing. you are only making things worse by re-adding chemicals on top of chemicals.
    Water changing every week and adding cal and alk on top of that is the reason your test reading on cal alk are so high. You need to let the coraline algae take hold and it can not do this with you changing the chemistry of the tank every week.
    Before you add anything to your tank you need to test the water to see what is needed first. Don't just add things to it and think it will balance it self.

Think of a car tire... this tire is needing to be at 32 psi and you are putting in 38 psi ... over time this will make the tire bald and wear un-even. So like testing the tire to see what the psi is before you add air to it the same applies with the reef tank, KNOW what you need then add it.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1081626416;start=0#9 date=04/14/04 at 16:21:47]can the coralline come w/ brown algae on glass.[/quote]

I believe that your tap water is causing your algae on your glass and every where else for that matter.

You use tap water and change the tank water every week so you are fueling the algae.

Stop weekly water changes and use RO/DI water. Check your LFS for ro/di water if necessary and use it.

Pure water is the base for all reef tanks.

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i don't use tap water I use a DI filter. I already do test the water for cal and alk. How am I changing the chem of the water. Aren't u supposed to change the water every so often. How are u supposed to get it balanced perfect.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

hottielover14 i don't use tap water I use a DI filter.
    Are you using a home DI filter? DI water by it's self will not remove the harmfuld minerals as RO will not remove all harmful minerals by it's self. Only when combining the 2 together will we get almost perfect water. The hair algae in your tank is feeding off those extra minerals your DI filter has not removed.

hottielover14I already do test the water for cal and alk.
    Yes but my your own admission you were adding cal/alk supplements without testing (every 5th day if I remember right). You test your tank and use the cal-alk calculator to see how much calcium and alk is needed THEN and only then would you add your chemicals.

hottielover14 How am I changing the chem of the water.
    There are only a few major chemicals that the reef uses (takes from the water) Calcium and magnesium and a we use a alk buffer for pH reasons. When you mix salt water there are approx 65 other minerals that are added that are not depleted at all or not very fast that take weeks or months to deplete. So do weekly water changes you are re adding these minerals back into the tank and doubling some of those with each water change. So the reef is not needing those extra minerals you just added with a water change, and this is why you don't need weekly water changes. just test for calcium and alk and ADD only what is needed and your tank will balance and coraline will start to grow.

hottielover14 Aren't u supposed to change the water every so often.
    Once balanced you will find yourself changing once a month or so.

hottielover14How are u supposed to get it balanced perfect.
    We come close to a balance but as with any reef tank it will NEVER be perfect we just aim for it.
    RO/DI will help tremendously

6. hottielover14

i was testing my water when I add the supplement every 5 days. Mines just a DI filter. I can't afford a RO/DI unit yet. I'm saving. How much did yours cost.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1081626416;start=0#14 date=04/20/04 at 15:41:38]i was testing my water when I add the supplement every 5 days. Mines just a DI filter. I can't afford a RO/DI unit yet. I'm saving. How much did yours cost.[/quote]

Mine was 124 -140 with everything added on.

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

woah! what else was added on. which one do u reccomend for me to get.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I like the auto shut off but not needed if you don't use a float valve.

the flush system is a great addition which I got and the ones at ebay most don't but if get one for 29 to 50 bucks that is a steal and you can add on the flush system later.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Also a pressure gauge and you can get them at home depot for 8 bucks.

12. hottielover14