Coralline Algae growth lighting

Discussion in 'Algae' started by reef1, Dec 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef1

reef1 Astrea Snail

Im setting up a 55 gallon tank with live purple algae fiji rocks and use a single flourescent strip light with an all glass flourescent bulb 32watt bulb built in reflectors cast ocean sun 10000k lamp could i use this light fixture instead of the MH or the compact flourescent and still have the same effect coralline algae growing on the fiji rocks,so i dont have to buy another fixture if my strip light works for me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Imo, you are going to need more light than that. I would try for 4-5 watts per gallon to have good coralline algae growth. In addition, you will need high calcium and strontium levels and a moderate water flow. A product called "Purple Up" added to your tank will also help with coralline algae growth.

4. reef1

reef1 Astrea Snail

lighting

i would need 275 watt for an 55 gallon

5. reef1

reef1 Astrea Snail

lighting

how about a compact florescent 2-65watt bulb daylight and 2-65watt blulb actinc would that fixture give good algae growth

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have 2-65watt daylight and dual 65 watt actinic bulb light that is producing corilline algae now. I use half the dose for PurpleUp everyday and it seems to be coming to life. Most will tell you that MH light are much better and they are but some people like me only have a ceritain budget I get from Mommy and that was all I could afford at the time. The model is in my signature.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Not for growing coralline they're not. Coralline grows best in low, blue actinic lighting. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Tattoo new-be on my forehead.

10. reef1

reef1 Astrea Snail

lighting

Ill do the same purchase a compact i guess thats an affordable way to go if it does the same job producing coralline over a MH. do think a MH would produce faster algae growth than a compact or the same? thanks!

11. reef1

reef1 Astrea Snail

lighting

low light how low could i go? could i just turn on the blue actinic lighting and how many hours? and not turn on the daylight! just to have a good coralline growth! im not going to have any corals just live rocks!!

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Do you have or plan on keeping corals? If so, you should focus your attention on keeping your corals healthy and not focus so much attention on coralline algae. The coralline algae will come in time.
    I have coralline algae growing in both my tanks and I am running metal halides in both. In my 75 gallon tank I also have coralline algae under 5watts per gallon of power compact lighting-50/50 bulbs!!!!
    Just keep the calcium and strontium level up and water flow as I mentioned above.
    Reef1, the lighting fixture you are talking about should be sufficient in establishing coralline algae with the other variables being met!