coraline growth and lighting experiment.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by 10acrewoods, Mar 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

very well shown.

2. Click Here!

3. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
  4. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

Do you have a power head on both sides?

5. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

On my tank I have little if any coralline on the rocks.... Its weird as my 75 with PCs had coraline everywhere and I needed to literally scrap the front pane every 2-3 days or the dime size pink spots would cover my glass.
    In my new tank with the 80w T5s, the coralline grows, in rock crevices and underneath rocks.
    The back glass is covered but in the 5' that my lamps reach the coraline is a very light pink/white whereas the 6" on each side of the back where the lamps end is a nice purple/pink coralline.
    Same goes with the sides, since the bulb ends a half foot before the sides the coralline is crazy there as well... Its rather odd to me.
    BUT just like the rocks I see that come in straight from Bali and Pohnpei, only one side has coralline or it is in small blotches.

I know that my PAR levels are retarding the growth as I have seen FAR higher levels but its odd that I get far more growth in the shadows...

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

no power head at the time of pics shown but there was a 900 gph pump that y ed in both directions of tank so equal flow was given

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you dont happen to have another halide bulb lying around do you? , the 15k the odds come with are horrible.
    but thinks for the test.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Way to go this is how I found out also many yrs ago , And why I tell all who would listen that at new tank start up simply seed it and use no light for a month then only actinics for 2 months and no skimmer for 3 months or so after stocking is started and no strong water currents for the first 3 months before stocking is started during the cycle as all of the above will only hinder the start of coralline gorwth , I have never had any issues with it . Now you no :) K's to you

11. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

I agrre with most of what Tangster said. I noticed more coraline growth in shaded areas first. I had alot of purple and pinks and now I have ALOT of red but also green and grey. I can say I haven't seen any blue though. BUT what I have found is it will most definitly adhear to plastic/ PVCs first and IT LOVES HIGH FLOW!!!! It started in shady spots, then popped up where the flow was at then with heads blowing every where, it is every where.
    I had Metal Halides running all day and had the pinks and purples and got more red, green and grey with the T5s running most of the day now.

12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

My tile that I put in for my clowns to lay eggs on was completely encrusted with green coralline algae when it was under the T5 side of my tank. I have moved it over to the 70W 14000K HQI side and ALL of the coralline has bleached off the tile now. My T5 (48W of 420 and 460 actinics) side is now showing color shift in the coralline. It is now changing from green to pink and purple.