Coralife Super Skimmer Help / MODs?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by philip_r5, Jan 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The fitting

Where would one get the "parker fitting"?

2. Click Here!

3. BB23

BB23 Astrea Snail

I have the 220 coralife skimmer and everything is working great. I know that on the cup already built in is a little drain hole. I wonder why they wouldn't do that for all their skimmers. I got a picture of mine if you want to see what im talkin about.

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Are you talking about the hole on the surface of the lid? If so, that's a vent hole, not a drain hole.

If not, please advise.

5. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Not the lid.

The 220 has a spout on the bottom of the cup itself which comes plugged with a black rubber stopper from the factory. This is the drain!

6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

NICE. I'm envious. I'd sure like if my 125 had that.

I don't know if I'm thrilled to death with my Coralife.

7. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

Bought my 125 about 3 weeks ago or so from Petsolutions and mine came with the drain hole on the collection cup, pretty nice to attach a gallon jug to

8. Click Here!

9. pnovak

pnovak Plankton

I have the 125 gal skimmer and mine has a drain plug on the bottom of the collection cup. I have it running on a 75 gal tank. I got it for free from a friend that got out fo the hobby. :) My problem is this, mine actually produces too much wet foam and overflows the cup. I have it set all the way open so the macrobubbles are down below the red ring. Is this because I have a 125 gal model running on a 75 gal tank? I ran fine for the first week and produced nice dark stuff and i had the macrobubbles set to the bottom of the collection cup, but now it just produces too much.

thanks for any help!

10. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

its not because your skimmer is rated for a higher tank, heck many people try to run a stronger skimmer than their tank needs. ive never heard of that happening, maybe someone here with years of skimmer experiance behind their belt can figure this one out.

11. pnovak

pnovak Plankton

I've been keeping the macrobubbles below the collection cup just above the red collar and it has been skimming like a champ! I have to empty the cup every 3 or 4 days and its really dark. Best skimmer I never paid for :)

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I just set up the super skimmer 125 on my tank last night (55 gal long). I only got the 125 instead of the 65, b/c it was on sale for ~$125 (cheapest anywhere I could find) at fish.com, so for only `$15 more, I can still use it when I get a bigger tank. (Mine also has the collection cup drain/plug.)
    I'm a little concerned about small jet stream of micro-bubbles I can see leaking from between the pump inlet and pump housing. I guess I can try to adjust surface contacts. Any ideas?
    I don't have a sump setup, so the skimmer is hanging on the back of the tank. I had to make a custom plexi-glass cover for it (donated from my old storm doors), b/c it sticks over into the tank so far. Is the bubble production diffuser supposed to overflow with water into the tank, or is the water supposed to seep through the vented bottom of the bubble diffuser? It's 1/4" above the water level, like the instructions say to set it at. The water pouring over the top of the bubble production diffuser is slowly making a salty mess of the cover and the lighting fixture above it. Saran wrap would be a temporary fix, but is this normal operation for this unit?
    Thanks.