Coralife Super Skimmer Help / MODs?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by philip_r5, Jan 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Bad idea but if you must ? drill a 1/4 hole tap the base of the cup and screw a 1/4 MIP x barbed male adapter into the tapped home in the cups base. Best thing you can do is get the skimmer into the sump and clean the cuo weekley if you need to dump the cup more then once a week after its skimmed the tank and is caught up then you need lower you feedings.. They have a rather large cup.

2. Click Here!

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Astrea Snail

yeah, sumps are the way to go... I know. Mine is HOT. Don't wan't to risk plumbing mishaps in an apartment above landlord. just read an article by stevenpro about increasing your skimmers productivity with surface skimming for HOT models. Had a good idea for insump too as far as the issue with water level (on rc). Something about using a bucket and letting it overflow.
    Am def turning my 75 over a few times an hour though with 500gph.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes if its a HOB skimmer then to connect the pump to a hang on box and force the surface water into the skimmer then It will make a little difference but not enough for me to mess with it I have seen the HOB skimmers boil over after the skimmer was connected.. If you have enough surface agitations and feeding properly then the water will be mixed enough to get the oils off the surface. Like I said If I was not using this skimmer i had then it would have no jug at all. We have a small Excalibur on a chock full 40 with med size tang and clowns and full of corals I dump and wash the little collection cup about every two weeks. It holds like a coffee cup maybe ?

5. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

Well, I bought this Skimmer yeasturday and its already broke. There is water coming out the adjustment nob when I turn it and a little while its stationary. Is there a fix to this or what you guys suggest?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Set it low and allow it a few days to run and break in fully they will never run right straight from the box Oils and such from the plastics need to gel over and slime up It sometimes takes a few weeks to dial them in 100%

7. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I bought one last week and mine is working perfectly. I have to empty the cup every three days, or it really smells. I would like my collection cup to drain to a gallon container but don't won't to risk breaking it. I think it's the best one for the cost.

8. Click Here!

9. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Coralife seem to slow down abruptly after a while

hi,
    not sure if its the water quality is up but my coralifes are a pain to keep them skimming, I usally break them down and clean the reaction area where the air is injected into the pump and the pump it self gets pretty bound with calcium. I am just a little dissapointed in the actually amount that is being produced.
    and my water seems to evap pretty fast once the level changes a little in the sump it seems to back off. I may need to make a automatic water replacement to prevent this.
    I seem to use a gallon or so a day.
    Doug

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  10. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I would put a divider in your sump so that the skimmer chamber remains at a constant level, then at least you don't have to worry about adjusting your skimmer all of the time.

11. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What about drilling the cup for a drainage system, can the plastic be drilled safely?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes it can be drilled just tap it for a 1/4 parker fitting and that will do you..But don't let the catch can run over, Its been done a few times