Coralife dual T5 light fell into tank!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mClarkDriver, Dec 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mClarkDriver

mClarkDriver Flamingo Tongue

I bought some live rock from a girl when i first started my tank build, she gave me this 36" coralife dual light that she had claimed droped into her tank, and it did not turn on after that, so she just gave it to me... well its been dry for almost 2 months or more, when you try to turn on the lights the fans kick on, but lights do not.

Is there a chance that the light bulb filament exploded when it fell into the water and the ballast's "might be" okay? or do you think the ballast's will have to be replaced as well?

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

It is a possibility.. Id check for rust or anything off. But other then that If your worrying about it, buy some cheapo T5's from a hardware store and test it out. Just be careful when testing it. .. Personally I try not to use electric stuff once it hits water just for safety reasons but thats just me.

4. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

probably the ballast

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

If the ballast isn't completely sealed it's toast IMO.

6. mClarkDriver

that's what i figured, i guess i could pick up a light bulb like it at the hardware store and always return it if the it does not work.

after looking in a few places the ballasts would be cheaper then buying the same light brand new....

7. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

anything electronic that has been submerged in water I toss in garbage. Not worth a fire burning my home down and having nothing left.

8. Click Here!

9. mClarkDriver

i took it apart and did not see any type of corrosion. like i said, i might just replace the ballast and the lights. and use it on a fuge some day.

10. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

this happened to me with my t5 ho fixture. i was so mad at myself it was brand new. the lights turned on but the fans diddnt and smoke came out. i immediatley unplugged and put out into the sun/ blow dried it. everyything works now and it keeps my corals happy.

11. mClarkDriver

i think if i replace the bulbs it will work, when i take the bulbs and rotate them side to side like one of those rain tube things, i can here stuff roll back and forth, i think upon impact of the water the filament in the light blew up.

12. vizhunz02si

vizhunz02si Astrea Snail

get a retro kit and replace all internals dont mess with eletronics once they are wet especially some thing that has a potential fire hazard