Coral Woes: I need help! (Looking better, 4/1)

Discussion in 'Coral' started by evolved, Mar 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Man, I hate to hear this. In case misery loves company, I just went through an event that sounds very much like your situation. One by one, I lost every stony coral I had in the tank starting around Christmas. I'm not completely sure which problem was the culprit (probably a combination) but due to a lot of traveling, I neglected to notice my bio-pellets clumping in the reactor causing my nitrates to shoot up. At the same time, my Alk ran sky high (13.5). These are the issues I blamed but don't have any proof that they were the cause. I didn't add anything so can't blame an introduced parasite. I dont know if you run bio-pellets but have read where people have run into issues with their stony corals while running bio-pellets with a high alk. Anyway, I hope you are able to find the cause. Maybe it will help to explain my demise.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think there is a wide range in all salts for the more minor minerals. Maybe your batch is one with a large dose.

I was wondering also if you have changed something with in your house or fish room that could be giving off a gas that is interacting with your water.

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

This is the kind of story that makes me nervous about keeping a reef tank. It seems that no matter how much money we spend and how much research we do there is always the case that thigns will turn for the worse with no good explanation. Have you messaged Biocube?? I know he tested the iodine, strotnium, and potassium in his tank and was going to start dosing when he found out all his levels were low maybe he can further help ont he matter if it is a chemical problem

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

The only thing I can think of is the drop in nutrients affected water clarity. Clearer water means more light reaching your corals. I just had something like this happen when I added gfo to my tank. I dialed the lights back a bit and stuff started to recover. Try that

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Misery always loves company...
    I do not run bio pellets, as issues as you describe have always scared me. But I am (was) essentially at ULNS levels, so my alk was likely up too high for a bit. Things were happy when it was stable at 9-9.5.

I did start a new bucket of IO about 6 weeks ago, so it's not tied to this bucket as things were happening before it.

The only thing that's changed in the house is the presence of a 40lb dog since the first of the year. I do run a CO2 scrubber on my skimmer though, so pH has been stable. So maybe that's possible? But she's in a crate during the day, so no chance she's directly in contact with the tank.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I have not, but I'm certain he'll see this thread.

As for a reef tank, it's peaks and valleys are just a part of it. However, this is a little bit more valley then I like to experience.

I did have this thought, and I've been seeing some minor signs of photo shock for a few weeks now, so I'll admit I should have done this prior to now. However, I already dialed them back this morning. Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I believe you are on the right track with lower the alk, I have to run around 8 but I feed very little, this is not true for you. I would take the GFO off line though.

If it were my tank I would do a water change with a different batch of salt as well.

I am sorry Hunter, damn I know that frustration.

The part about getting worse as the photo period goes on makes me wonder about pH. I rarely watch pH, but now that I use kalk in top off my pH is higher and my corals are happier at an alk of around 8.

Hope this helps even a little.

Cheryl

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I did take the GFO offline last night; you may have missed that in my wall-o-text.

pH history can be seen here: Apex History « Reeftronics

It's pretty darn stable. The jump up about 10 days ago was replacing the CO2 absorption media on the skimmer airline; the dip the last couple days is because the doser has been shut off. And four dips ago was due to the skimmer airline being off overnight for the interceptor treatment.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

The reason I said this, (sorry I was posting from my phone earlier), when I had this happen, 3 monti caps were the worst to suffer. I also saw signs of suffering in my birdsnests, xenia started melting, mushrooms started to move, red planet lost color and all of that stuff. My monti caps were nearly completely white but still had polyp extension just like you mention. This all happened about a month or so ago. I have taken the GFO offline, backed off on my lights a bit and things seem to be improving and stuff is really taking off again. As a matter of fact, my purple cap looks better than it ever has.

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

When you get to, the point you are at, it is most likely a combination of small things that add up to a bigger problem. There probably isn't much you don't know, but it can be hard to sort out what the problems are. You need to double check everything, and try to think of things that you missed. For me it was checking the tds in the ro bucket.

It wouldn't hurt to reduce your photoperiod until you get things back in line.

I have had acans recede just as you described. My cause were the ever hated amphipods. Your cause may be something else, but the pink skeleton is a sign of secondary infection. I saved all of my LPS by doing a Bayer dip followed by a Furan 2 dip. Right in succession.

The old "what changed" can hold the answer. Something did. Good luck to you.