Coral survive or die?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by colcol79, Jun 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Hi my tank had a problem with high phosphates and low ph, i have done a water change to try and help.

I added a finger coral 4 days ago, but it has never looked good it has never "stood up" it just looks lifeless.

I guess the low ph or high phosphate hasnt helped, the coral looks limp, and my candy cane coral has a little of its white skeleton showing.

I take it the chemistry of the water being slightly off is my problem,

Should i remove the coral or will it recover??

I dont want to be too hasty on taking it out im hoping the water change will help.

Again im new to this and am still learning so advice would be great. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

How low is the PH? Remember its not always how high or low but how stable it is. The phosphates are part of the problem too. Get some GFO running to help lower them. Whats your Cal, Alk, and Mag readings?

1 person likes this.
  4. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

5. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

The ph is 7.8 but it was the same yesterday at the same time.
    the phosphates are pretty high (over 10 mg/l)
    calcium is around 600 mg/l
    havent checked alk or mag readings.

excuse my ignorance but whats GFO?

6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

+1 on what PG said, stable PH is the best PH, even if it's a little under/over. 7.8 is fine, I run my reef prob around that PH and have no issues.

GFO = granular ferric oxide. It's media that lowers Phosphate in your tank. Like RowaPhos or Phosban, etc. You can run it in a reactor or in a media bag in your sump. I recommend the RowaPhos: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi..._campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=RW1111

1 person likes this.
  7. pgoodsell

Granulated Ferric Oxide is GFO. It removes phosphates. You can get a reactor to put it in( this is where it works best) or you can put it in your filter. Calc seem high. You really need to test for alk and mag. With a low ph (7.8 isnt that bad just a little low) you alk might be low too. How are your basic params, Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

How long has the tank been setup for? If your phosphates really are high, that could be a major factor. Do you use RO/DI water?

1 person likes this.
  10. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

QUOTE=pgoodsell;915429]Granulated Ferric Oxide is GFO. It removes phosphates. You can get a reactor to put it in( this is where it works best) or you can put it in your filter. Calc seem high but shouldn't be hurting anything. You really need to test for alk and mag. With a low ph (7.8 isnt that bad just a little low) you alk might be low too. How are your basic params, Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?[/QUOTE]

I have been running rowaphos in a media bag, but i guess it has exhausted and i will replace with more.
    If im honest and i know youll prob think im a fool but ive never tested for alk or mag!!??

My lfs sold me a "complete test case!" by the company sera.

it has no alk or mag test!!

can someone please list all the things i should be testing for??

What i have tested is as follows-

phosphate 10 mg/l
    ph 7.8
    ammonia 0 mg/l
    nitrite 0 mg/l
    nitrate 0 mg/l
    kh 13dkh
    calcium 600 mg/l
    temp is 27* c
    s.g. is 1.026

Thats all i was told by lfs to test!!??

:angry::confused::angry::confused::angry::confused:

1 person likes this.
  11. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Tank has been set up a year this month,
    yeah i use ro/di water with a tds of 001

12. pgoodsell

Actually the KH test is for your alk, and it looks good. You have to buy a separate kit for mag. The mag test is the only other one you'll need.
    In all those tests so far the only thing I see is the high Phosphate that is an issue.