Coral Surgery- Round Two

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Todd_Sails, Jan 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Makes me wonder what the real colors of your other corals are, i always thought that was a purple m. capricornus. lol

I made in a post in another thread about how when something like this happens, it wouldn't surprise me if the explanation is something we just don't know about yet. Clearly you have a mature system, you know how to keep other SPS without problems, etc., just some weird coral thing.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

No, not quite neat this one.
    On my local reef, some think it may be nudibranchs. Still haven't seen any.
    NOt sure if they can be dormant for months, and then eat a coral like this.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had nudibranch's on my monti a couple years ago. Smallest little boogers imaginable. They may be white and underneath, making them blend in and harder to see.

I treated my monti and bleached it. There was one polyp that made it and some how, regrew into a nice show piece.

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Todd, if you somehow don't save this guy. I have another healthy red monti I got from norg that is doing great and I can get you a nice sized frag!

I don't know what happened to mine/ours. I have adjusted some of my tank husbandry because of the dinos I was fighting. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Could it be the change in the season, the moon phase, the church people knocking on my door... who knows.

You took more action than I did. However, my december got real busy and I couldn't afford as much time into my tank as I wanted. Could that have been the issue? maybe...

either way man, you still have more coral on one rock than I probably have in my whole tank! haha!

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

No, not quite neat this one.
    On my local reef, some think it may be nudibranchs. Still haven't seen any.
    NOt sure if they can be dormant for months, and then eat a coral like this.
    Thanks Matt,
    You have some nice coral- awesome array of Zoas- great colors.
    So far so good on that coral- but it is the second time I've had to cut it up though.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

If you don't dip your corals, there is a very good chance that you have pests. I have dipped everything for a long time, and the norm is to see pests in the dip, especially locally. MEN's and red bugs are VERY common. The Nudi's are very small and well camouflaged. You don't just see them crawling about.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I have dipped some in the past with an expired bottle of CoralRx.
    I think I'll start again with some Bayers insecticide maybe?

10. TheClark

TheClark Plankton

Use a strong flashlight and check a couple of hours after lights out for freshly hatched nudibranch. Good luck!

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Still don't see any, they may be there though.

Another edge starting receeding the day after I cut it up.
    This time I stuck my IC Gel tube in the DT and covered the area that was receeding the best I could with the Superglue.
    I'll check it today with the lights on and try and add a picture.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Sorry to hear your troubles. I've had several nice size piece just die. I had an awesome bubble before about 6-7" long, one day, just started receding. Did everything I could, but didn't make it. I also had a nice colony of digitata. One day, the polyps stopped extending. It still grew and had color, but it was washed out. Never extended again, but also didn't die. Just one of those things.