Coral supplementation/dosing

Discussion in 'Coral' started by flynhawaiianz28, Jul 20, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yeah that's very true and I got a steal of a deal on that IO RC last time I bought it so it was hard to pass up and I have been very pleased with the results so far keeping my salinity at around 1.025-1.026 and my temp around 77-78. May just have to stick to IO RC and try to supplement with some reef roids for feeding and maybe try that lugol's as well.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. flynhawaiianz28

Maybe this is getting into something over my head but lets just say that I did want to start dosing and could test like i should...where would i even begin? A 2 part solution?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have used IO the vast majority of my time in the hobby. I used RC for about 2 years, during that time I had a couple issues with the chemistry on my nano, chronically high magnesium was one of those issues, no biggie but not ideal. I switched back to IO.

You'll only dose a two part if needed. If your Alk is below 7.5, Calcium below 350, mag below 1250, then you might consider dosing. You start dosing when your tank's utilization/consumption of the big 3 is too great to be replenished by routine water changes.

So you need to start with baseline values for Alk, Ca, Magnesium. You should also get a Nitrates and Phosphate level just to know where you're at, you do not have to test for N/P routinely unless you see an issue.

If you're going to start a 2 part you'll need Ca/Alk/Mag test kits or hanna checker.

Since you do not know your tank's consumption/personality I would start with a basic 2 part like Kent, TwoLittleFishies, BRS.......Popular simple two part products.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Billme and Mr. Bill like this.
  5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Testing is the key. Fixing a problem that isn't there can only lead to trouble. I also suggest an iodine test kit if you are dosing iodine. It becomes toxic when even slightly more than natural levels. I expect your elements are just fine with the water changes you do. That's the easiest way to adjust levels.

Mr. Bill and Corailline like this.
  6. flynhawaiianz28

Thanks guys! The last time I measured my levels in both my tanks, I was checking for a week period to see how the swing in parameters was and they weren't low by any means and were within range so I know the consumption can't be too high. I should go back and do another week of testing just see where everything is at again even though I know my corals are fine and healthy it is more of a peace of mind thing. I do know for a fact that my nitrates in both tanks last time I checked were at 0 and that my phosphates had just a trace. I changed one tank on Saturday last weekend and the other tank is due this weekend. I will try and snap some pictures so a better idea can be given about the coral load each of these tanks have.

Billme likes this.
  7. flynhawaiianz28

Alright, so I have uploaded a picture of my pico 20 gallon. I have some various soft corals like mushrooms, xenia, some polyps and also there are some zoas and euphyllia in there as well. Now this tank has been doing great but i would like to keep loading up on some more coral. I would like to stick more to LPS, SPS is slightly questionable if I want to try some of the easier ones to keep but I may transfer a few small pieces from my other tank and give it a shot. My LFS was out of reef roids this past weekend and I'm waiting for them to get it back in stock. I have appreciated all the suggestions thus far and figure I can start off by feeding but if anyone has any other input I would love to hear it : )

Attached Files:

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Well, that looks to be a beautiful and healthy tank! I commend you on being so diligent with water changes given your work schedule. I'm with others on this, perhaps target feeding for growth but I wouldn't mess with a good thing that you obviously have going with your husbandry.