coral supplement

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by phoenixhieghts, Dec 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hi All

Im thinking i should be adding a supplement for my corals - i have ordered some calcium, but does anyone have a reccomendation for a good alround complete soloution??

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What kind of corals are you looking to supplement? Most get everything that they need from your salt mix so if you do regular water changes, you shouldn't have to add anything.

4. phoenixhieghts

i've never really kept corals, normally just fish - im having a go at it! i have a green medusa coral, some button polyps (lately half of them have been closed), star polyps, jasmine polyps and disc ananomes.
    I usually but RO water from my supplier and always do at least 10-20% water chagne a week - i am looking to reduce this by addine a nitrate reductor

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

OK, with those types of corals, you shouldn't need to add anything, especially if you do regular water changes. The only supplements I think you would need to add would be maybe some calcium, magnesium and buffer but you'd have to get test kits in order to figure out whether or not you'll actually need to add them and when. It is very very important that you do not add any type of supplement without testing for it first.

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i use a 3 pack sold by seachem reef carbonate,reef plus ,and reef complete,it pretty much covers everything

7. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

what types of light

HI,
    Many times we buy softies cause they don't need hallide light, but they do need a good light that has white and some blue.
    how much light do you have.
    MAny softies are light feeders, due to their algae.
    Doug
    for me calcium and the right KH is about all they need and adequate light.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i also dose seachem, and it helps more than hurts. their products cover all the bases.

10. phoenixhieghts

I have 2 T5 flourescents. I dont have a clue what the wattage is but Im assured by my lfs that this is adequate for the type of coral i have.
    I'll give the seachem stuff a try